Got my .40 cal deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sduve

Reaction score
Made it out with my new GM .40 cal barrel today with great success. Shot a button buck at 20 yards in front of shoulder. Deer traveled 150 yards across open field. Roundball was recovered on opposite side just under skin after passing thru far shoulder. Lungs were torn up a little. The recovered ball weighed 76.5 gr. I used 60 gr of 777 3F for the propellant. Picture below.
]
359142.jpg

congratulations on the deer...

That just goes to show if you get close enough and put the ball in the right place, it will take a deer. What is the weight of the ball before shooting?

Congratulations! A 20 yd shot would make it a little easier to decide whether to take the shot or not. It's not surprising that you didn't get a passthrough, even at 20 yds. The 40cal ball probably sheds enegy pretty quick when traveling through bone and tissue. I find it intersting that the deer went 150 yds. It appears the shot was in the lungs but the small ball didn't do enough damage, or impart enough shock, to bring the deer down quicker. Just curious, what kind of blood trail did you get? Also, did you break a rib on entry? From the weight loss of your ball, I'm assuming you hit some bone and got some fragmentation.

The shot was a slight 1/4 towards me when taken. The ball passed thru both shoulders, front of lungs, and was just lying under skin of opposite shoulder. I will post a picture of the roundball when I find my camera :roll: . The blood trail was sparse for the first 50 yards then it poured out, but there was only 1 hole. Even shoulder bone was falling out of the entrance.

Way to GO! Good shot with the open sights too! :D

Deer are just plain TOUGH!

Thanks for the infomation. The bullet loosing only approximately 19% of its weight is not all uncommon. I never realized the ball was that small to begin with.

Actually 60 grains of T-7 3f must have had that little ball smokin!!

I had tried 65 and 70 gr but my patches were ripping in half. My chrony is busted but I'm guessing a velocity of 2000 fps with 60 gr of powder.

what did you learn is the max load for that rifle? I really have thought about getting one for shooting and plinking, but I think it would make an excellent small game projectile.

I had great accuracy with all loads up to 70 gr, which was my highest loading. I backed it off to 60 gr where the patches started lookin like patches :lol: My bbl has only been shot about 25-40 times. The 60 gr load produced a 3 shot 1.25" group with 2 holes! That was good enough for me. I probably won't use a 40 cal rb for deer in the future. May try a conical at some time.

sduve said:
I had tried 65 and 70 gr but my patches were ripping in half. My chrony is busted but I'm guessing a velocity of 2000 fps with 60 gr of powder.

This could be the 777. I have heard that it burns quite hot. You could try the same load with blackpowder and may not have that problem. Or you could use an over the powder wad.

cayuga said:
I really have thought about getting one for shooting and plinking, but I think it would make an excellent small game projectile.

I believe you would really like the GM 40cal. Mine is probably the most accurate barrel I have. I would suggest that you get the 15/16" barrel for a Hawken stock, like I have. It is still heavy but is lighter than the 1". Mine is my favorite squirrel rifle and is a pleasure to shoot.

This could be the 777. I have heard that it burns quite hot. You could try the same load with blackpowder and may not have that problem. Or you could use an over the powder wad.[/quote]

I would like to try some real blackpowder but finding a source in my area has not been fruitful.

sduve said:
I would like to try some real blackpowder but finding a source in my area has not been fruitful.

I have the same problem finding powder here and the only dealer within 60 miles, of which I am aware, sells only Goex and for $16/lb. I order mine from Powders Inc, which will ship quantities as low as 5 lbs to your door. They carry several differents brands and even with the hazmat fee, are considerably less expensive than mylocal dealer. I'm all for supporting local business but not at any cost. There are a couple of other dealers which will ship small quantities of blackpowder and several others which will ship by the case(25lbs). If you get together with friends and combine an order, this is the cheapest way to go as prices generally come down as quantity goes up.

Back