A long day at Knight...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
What a long day!!!

My Brother in law Rod, and I left for Centerville, at 7:00 a.m.
We choked down a gut bomb and some donuts in Sigourney, and were in Centerville by 9:30

SANY0955.jpg

Due to the early arrival, and being the second person to register, I was given the number 102.

I was immediately greeted by Gordy Anderson, from the service department in Alabama. Gordy used to work at Centerville location, but had to relocate to Alabama. He really misses Iowa.

gordy.jpg

I think I spoke with evryone that day regarding Knights history, including their problem child, the Revolution and the Revolution ll.

The Revolution was originally outsourced to an engineering firm in Des Moines, Iowa, and after much trouble with the design was brought back for Knight engineers to finish. Then it was sent out for stock design, and consequently hit the market late. Thompson saw the Revolution in trouble and poured on the negative ads to the tune of $5,000,000. Almost five times their usual advertising budget.
The rest is history. While Knight tried to reinvent itself, the Vision, the KP1, the KRB, the Shadow, all seemed like frantic multiple attempts to regain market share, while Thompson ran away with it's 50% based on two basic designs.

Customer Service will continue at the Centerville location for the foreseeable future.

This, according to everyone I talked with, including Al Paxton, former Director of Operations, and now Knight Consultant for Ebsco.

Typically a 5 year event, this auction looked like every other "inventory reduction" sale.
However, Tony Knight, who's health has not been good as of late, was at the auction site the day before, and whose mood has been described to have been, quiet and very somber. I can only imagine why...
His brother John was in attendance for the sale. Nice guy, and former principal of schools.

It was a privilege to be able to take a grand tour the facility with Gordy and then with Al as well. They don't come much nicer than these two guys. Very professional and customer oriented. What a pleasure!

Here are several pictures of Al.

SANY0971.jpg

alpaxton2.jpg

You may not believe this, but I actually got to mess around with the new Ultimate Slam!!!
Before production had stopped, the had made exactly 50.
Toby Bridges has one...
Two are at the Centerville location, one ss on synthetic, and one ss in a camo thumb hole, and the other 47 are in Alabama.

The bolt looks like a one piece version of the 209 adapter.
Gordy claims 5/8" groups in the tunnel, all day long...with BH209.
He says he would like to have one. Al would like to have one as well.
my name went into the mix as well.

For some of you who have sent your barrels in for accuracy testing...have you ever wondered what the shooting tunnel looks like?
jimandtunnel.jpg

Pay no attention to that idiot standing there!!
I LOVE attention!

SANY0982.jpg

tun2.jpg

tun1.jpg

tun3.jpg

tun5.jpg

Not surprisingly, Jim Shockeys name came up during the course of one conversation.
When spoken, his name sets off an explosion of emotion. Enough said....

The auction itself was slow, long and arduous.
After the auction we stood in line for 1 1/2 hours to do paperwork and then 1 hour in line to pay!!!!!!!!!!!

I then had to wait on Gordy and additional hour for everyone else to be loaded, before he could find me some posters and a banner for Night.
(It's OK Night, you seem like a nice guy and I didn't really mind.)
That said we were the last to leave at 7:30 p.m.

Here are some pics of the auction along with the faces many of you talk to on the phone:

rifles.jpg

Bro in law ....Rod
rod.jpg

Sam.....
sam.jpg

pop-up.jpg

Mike
Hey Chuck.....Mike said to tell you hi!!
mike.jpg

mikeandguns.jpg

SANY0957.jpg

SANY0960.jpg

SANY0978.jpg

auctioneer2.jpg

display.jpg

auctioneer.jpg

guns.jpg

lynne.jpg

I had asked for and received requests to look for numerous items at the sale. I requested phone numbers and dollar amount limits.
The day was laced with many super deals, unfortunately, most every thing went higher than members wanted to pay.

I did call everyone who left me a phone number. Here I am talking to UC.
spitandsign.jpg

Flounder...
Sorry we didn't connect on the phone.
No Stocks for sale ....
MK-85 plunger...part#070215 $35 call customer service

Night.....
several posters and a banner for your shop....pm me your address.

FG....
Wolverines all went for $140...sorry
All others went higher.

Underclocked.....
No Elites, no MHC's
Thanks for the address...trigger assembly forthcoming.

Lane.....
Great talking to you.
No 45's with 1:20
However, there may be a chance to get a barrel. pm me please or call me

Cayuga....Dave,
Nice to finally talk to you....you really have too many guns, dude.

rt_con....
No Elites... no barrels.
I might sell ya one of mine...pm me if interested.

KP1 ML and two and three barrel combos went for $250-$490 with several in the $600+ range.

Vision all camo...$210

Big Horns ....$140-$175

52 cal. Extremes (who wants one anyway) $160-$180

50 cal. SS Extremes $250

LRH.....$375(LH)-$530

KRB....$190-$195

TK2000 .....$140......approx. 60 one guy bought 32!

I purchased several KP1 combos (blued) to resell to try and recoup some expenses.
They are:
50 cal. 45-70 govt. (two barrels)
50 cal. 45-70 govt. 243 (three barrels)
50 cal. SS on Synthetic Disc Extreme
All in unopened boxes.

Pm me if interested.

Hope you all enjoyed the pics. It was a trip I will remember for a long time.
BTW...I LOVED the Knight shirt Al Paxton was wearing. I badgered him periodically all day to sell it to me. I was willing to swap and pay cash in addition. He very graciously said he couldn't. Before we left that day he was asking for my mailing address....

I have no shame.
:oops: 8)

To all...
Spit

Thanks for the excellent report. Sounds like a long but interesting day. I think those shotguns were quite a bargain.
Art

man im surprised some of the rifles went as high as they did.

nice shirt - Who shot the couch?

Cool write up Spit.... but the whole thing is very sad, I love me some knight! :cry:

Thanks for the post Spit, you went above and beyond the call of duty. I bet Tony was sick, it truely is a shame.

Your right about that Night feller, VERY nice guy!

I hope that wasn't you that watered the footing for that Knight Sign while talking to UC? :lol: If it was, your right, you have no shame. :lol:

Gordy is supposed to call me tomorrow, the others are pretty much clueless. I'll fill you in after I get the issue resolved.

Thanks for all the nic pics and the grand tour, wish I could have been there. I would also say those TK's were the bargain of the sale, I paid $350.00+ for mine 9 years ago.

Thanks for the report, Spit. 8) Sounds like time well spent.

I usually have a crapper close by when I call UC. Serves a dual purpose... :lol:

Actually the prices on some of those rifles are not bad. I can understand why the TK2000 person bought so many. I have seen them go on the auction sites for $300.00 so he can make a little money.

Spit is was a pleasure talking to you. Now I am glad I was not there or we might have added a few more to the collection.

Nice report on a VERY sad day. Thanks for the pictures; good to know what a guy looks like. I've talked to Gordy a couple times and is very nice and helpful.

I'm not a Knight shooter but that is a great report...and a bit sad.

The "unofficial" rumor is that someone will pick it back up.
If you got 2 big ones laying around getting moldy. 8)

Spit: Nice report and pics. And thanks for the call on Sat. I wasn't real hopeful they had some .45 Elites left, but I sure appreciate you looking out for me and the guys.

I am sad reading your post.... especially when I now see an face behind a name and voice on he phone (Gordy).. who I spoke to many times. I hope he and the others are OK. Good people all around!

Thanks for the report Spit. My first inline muzzleloader was a Black Knight. I was so proud of that ML. It was so sleek and rugged! Like the rest of the forum members, this is a sad time. I've had some fun days afield with a Knight MLer. Great post.

Good report!

Glad I "couldn't" go, as I would have came home with one of those TK2000's. :D

Spit's report =A sad day @ Knight

Spit: Ya done a good service with that report. "Thank you fer your time"
Art Sehnke :wink:

double brow said:
Great report and great pics. A very sad day for the muzzleloading industry.

.....TIMES TWO..... hopefully things can turn around for them at some point.

Sounds like a great experience for sure! That was aweful good of you to pick up those items for the other members. 8)

Back