Knight Disc Extreme MH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Reaction score
Hi All,

My neighbor bought one of the Knight Disc Extremes with the Cryo barrel and we shot yesterday and today. Very accurate, no fliers.

However, it builds a crud ring fast. 1st shot = difficulty getting the bullet down, 2nd shot it is not possible to seat it. Shooting 2 pellets 777 or 2 pellets Pyrodex. Used 777 primers, CCI and Federal. This was with the Non Full plastic jacket breach plug kit.

Changed the plug to the original and used the plastic jackets and the crud ring went away.

Is this expected? Is there any way to ditch the FPJ otherwise?

Mike

I shot mine today with 777 primers and 100gr FFg 777... swabbed between shots and thought the fouling was rather mild.

I hope my BH209 to be here tomorrow so we will see how it goes.. ...

I did not try the standard plug with the red thingys.

I only shot the 200 XTP's and it shot VERY good.. I am impressed with this gun so far!

JJ,

What sabot did you use with the 200 gr (10mm/40cal ??) xtp? I am looking for a flat shooting woodchuck load that I could also use on yotes and the occasional deer. :wink: Is the MMP .50/.40 the only one out there. I have some 200 grain Shockwaves with the blue sabots, but I don't need those for a chuck. I got a bunch of T/C Cheap Shots at Bass Pro a year and a half ago for $1.88/20 pack, that's cheap shooting. Wish I would have bought a whole case of them now. Once they are gone I'll be in the market for som .40's and sabots.

Did you slug your bore on your Disc Ext MHC? Anybody? I have 3, all with different bore diameters: .501", .5015", .502". I have the .5015" set up with my long range mil-dot glass. It's my .50 cal chuck sniper rifle. :lol:

010-1.jpg

Nope,

I have not slugged the bore but I did use the MMP .40/.50 BLUE sabots... they fit plenty tight!

They shot really well, I am going to try again with BH209 then into some gel... then MAYBE a hog this weekend with the puny 200's

Thanks JJ. Sounds like tight is good with BH209.

Mike & JJ, did you guys get any blowback with the Non FPJ conversion?

Thanks guys.

Busta, I have slugged my MHC and mine seems to be even tighter than most. Mine is just over .500 but not enough to say .501! I slugged it with a REAL bullet and a flattened round ball. With the REAL, I got a reading on the grooves at .509. You may want to make the .502 your Barnes shooter.

Busta

I also have one of the new Knight DE-MHC's serial #141?

I am really not good at using the mic... but let me tell you what I have found.

When I first got the rifle, I tried loading a .503 Bullshop conical. It was very difficult to get it started - I did have to finally use a short starter to get it in and by the crown - once by the crown it fell to the breech plug. So next I tried a .504 Bullshop - it was very difficult to start but once by the crown it did go down the bore with what I felt was the correct pressure on a clean barrel.

Since then, I have reworked the crown with a hone and now the the .504's will load through the crown with moderate thumb pressure - then on down the bore with very little pressure (on a clean bore) but they will not shake off, or even bump off if I thump the bore on the carpet.... so on shot bore they should be about right.

When i measure the slug... it appears to mic .504 groove to groove and from land to land .502

After re-working the crown I do load HPH-24 sabots with a .452 projectile and they seem to load with the correct amount of pressure. Next trip to the range I will try some HPH-12's

Here is a pic of my mic - on the Bullshop slug... I do not guarantee my abilities...

KnightSlug.jpg

Thanks MQ32!

Lane,

It is a S&W (Hakko Optics) 4-18 X 42 AO Mil-Dot with Rainshield. VERY nice glass. I also have 3 others, 1.5 - 6 X 38, 3 - 9 X 42, 3.5 - 10 X 50.

Scroll through them, I have one of each of the first 4. The only one I don't have is the 6 - 24 X 42.

I didn't pay those prices though, I paid between $99 and $129 a piece NIB from CDNN and Ultimate Outdoors 2 or 3 years ago.

The 3.5 - 10 X 50 is a little eye critical, but the other 3 are outstanding.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/SWOptics/RifleScopes.asp

Thanks Sabotloader.

You will need a slug over .510 to get your groove diameter. It should be about .510, give or take .001. I used a .54 caliber round ball, a brass hammer and a thick piece of leather between them to get my groove measurement. It shaved a ring of lead off like loading a BP Revolver cylinder.

I just used some No Excuses to slug the land to land measurements.

Busta said:

Thanks guys.

I have not had any blowback... I really love the conversion... goodbye rpj's FOREVER!!!!

Busta said:

Thanks guys.

Nope, no blowback here. Liked the Non FPJ. Just got crud ring like no tomorrow. Went away when we went back to FPJ. I wonder if something could be wrong with the breachplug. Sounds like others are not experiencing the ring as bad as we are.

Mike

I got out and shot some BH209 in my Extreme. No crud ring!!! 8) :lol:

In my Knight my POI moved left about 2" or so..... simple adjustment and I was back in business.

DSCN0006.jpg

Doohan said:
I got out and shot some BH209 in my Extreme. No crud ring!!! 8) :lol:

In my Knight my POI moved left about 2" or so..... simple adjustment and I was back in business.

DSCN0006.jpg

What plug were you using?

DC

Non FPJ kit...

I have only been to the range twice with the gun and 200 XTP's have been the only bullet I have tried..

No groups to post but it shoots very well.

Back