Huntsman, Pyrodex and Powerbelts??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleeb

Reaction score
I've decided to go with smoke, so I picked up a NEF Huntsman at a small gun shop. Few choices for projectiles and powder, so I got 50gr. Pyrodex pellets and 348gr. powerbelts. I'd rather push smaller sabots (XTP, SST) with T7, from what I've been reading, but I have what I have. Has anyone had any experience with 100gr. Pyrodex and the 348 Powerbelts in the Huntsman? Is it fairly accurate out to 150 yds.? I expect it'll kick like a 12 ga. ....yes? I really don't mind the kick when hunting, but I put my Leopold 4x on it off of my Ultra Slug 980, and I have to sight it in today without having bore-sighted it. I hope this load doesn't make me flinch after several shots! :shock: Thanks.

I went back to the shop and traded in for T7 and 250 gr, T/C PTX sabots. And I had it bore-sighted. It shot well....decent groups and weenie recoil. If my cleaning rod hadn't broken in the barrel, I would have been able to zip it in better before it got dark. Missed a good night of bowhunting, and gotta get out tonight.

bleeb, some folks carry an 8" dowel and never worry about extending that ramrod. You could get fancy with this, but whatever you do don't forget it's in there. :shock: And pick yourself up a good range rod for target work. You'll probably hunt with the rifle's ramrod in place so that's how I recommend bench shooting - unless you are strictly going for best group.

Good luck hunting!

It was my cleaning rod that broke. The I was pulling a dry patch thru the barrel from breech to muzzle and it the patch lodged in the breech threads. :d'oh!: Now I'm using my Otis cleaning kit, which I had formally thought to be too nice and neat to use.

Yeah, the ramrod won't win any engineering awards, but I've had no problems with it....yet. I always make sure it is threaded tightly each time I use it.

I bought some 240 gr XTPs on sale today. They shot as well as the PTXs. I noticed that the barrel of the huntsman stayed quite cool.

Saw two little 4-pointers, the same duo I see every night. The doe must have hunkered down out of the downpour. Even deer get sick of 8 days of solid rain :!: I also flushed a heron out of the middle of one of my clover fields. A fish must have taken a wrong turn.....

Oh, I guess you said cleaning rod. :oops: Just sort of assumed the ramrod went .... flimsy things. Maybe that heron crash landed there? :D

The Sidekick and Huntsman must be excellent shooting rifles. I have read a lot of posts on them only because I have looked at them numerous times and considered owning one of them...

I have yet to read someone claiming .... they can not get the rifle to group, or the thing is temperamental.. That means a lot when it comes to a rifle. I have also read they have an excellent trigger.

Good luck with your rifle.. :lol:

Yep, you need another rifle Cayugad. :p Really, better jump on that 24" Sidekick at Dallas Tactical.

I think they are right up there so far as value. My Huntsman had/has the best out of the box trigger of any muzzleloader I've owned. Tough to adjust if needed, but there was no need.

I only had one flyer out of 5 three-shot groups. I assumed it was me, because my bench was a few hay bales in a barn door. It occurred with the XTPs. So far I like the gun. I have an Ultra Slug 980 that is a tack driver with Lightfield Commander's so I expect an H&R/NEF to be accurate out of the box.

Heading out now to do some deer management. Gotta get rid of some doe.....

Glad you got good results. Things can heat up in a barn. LOL. Once the preacher's daughter and I was in a barn,a blue racer ran across her leg..............Things got awefulLy :shock: cold.

As I wrote in another post this morning, I shot a doe at 8 yards yesterday with the 250 gr XTPs. I'm sure if I had the bow in my hands the deer would have been at least 50 yards away!! At that close range, it did considerable damage resulting in an efficient kill. Her heart was halved, and some lung was gelled. Nevertheless, a great first kill with a frontloader!

Back