What is the corect size?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Hello to all
I am planning to order a large quantity (1000 or so) of cast conicals for my .58 caliber T/C Renegade with the T/C factory barrel.
What is the correct diameter bullet to order? I don't want to have to size them, just shoot 'em as they come.
Thank you.

This is one of them times when I would suggest you slug the bore. Some people take an over sized ball like a .600 and drive that into the bore, pull it and then measure the different marks on the ball, to learn the exact bore dimensions. Then you can determine if you want a tight fit, slip fit, what ever.

Something else I might recommend.. if you have not actually tried the conicals you are going to purchase, I would order say, 50 of them or even less. Just for starters mind you. Most casters understand that people want to try their product to make sure they even work. I'd hate to get 1000 conicals and then find out that just because my rifle has a 1-48 twist, it will not shoot them in an accurate manner.

Remember this is a big bore rifle. Even the simple roundball out of something like this is deadly. For that you get some .570 ball and a patch of .015-.018 and a good lube.

When someone is going to shoot conicals out of a rifle like that I always figure they are going after something big and dangerous. That is a lot of conical to throw down range.

Hey there Tweesdad. Gotta tell you, I agree with Cayuga. If you Renegade will shoot patched balls well why bother with the expense and recoil of heavy conicals. A 570 ball is big medicine on game and lots of fun to shoot. Have you shot balls from that barrel yet?

Yep, BIG game. In the process of booking an Arctic excursion. Moose, Musk Ox, Bear, and whatever else seems like a good idea at the time, and is legal. Hunt should run about 30 days. Naturally, all depends on seasons, and the ability to get permits.
This is taking the place of the African hunt I mentioned a while back. The prices to do that hunt would be enough to pay off the national debt. My grandson can use some of that cash for college.
Cayuga..Appreciate the thought. Plan on doing just that, so I guess I will have to slug the barrel.
Semisane..The Renegade does shoot conicals, but I don't. At least not when trying for anything bigger than a Caribou. I would much rather put up with the recoil and added expense of heavy conicals and large powder charges, than not feel comfortable with what I am shooting. I have been shooting heavy loads long enough to be very confident with them. My current large game load is a 525 gr. in front of 110 gr. Pyrodex RS. Gun puts 3 into 2" at 50 yards. I am looking to get a heavier bullet in case I run into something with a really bad attitude. As of now, I don't shoot further than 75 with this rifle. Peep sight, no scope. Will have to resight when I get the bullets.
I'm not saying you're wrong about PRBs, I'm just saying that for this type of trip, they're not for me.
Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate it.

I hear `ya Twees. Sounds like you have your head on pretty straight. You do realize that we expect a full report with target pictures once you get those conicals shooting, don't you? :wink:

Semi
Target pictures to follow as soon as I get the bullets. Pictures of furry targets will be posted if I can get them to lay down.
I figure about another 500 practice rounds and I'll be good to go.
If I didn't make it clear, Musk-Ox is primary. I expect it to be freakin cold.
Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back