Ruger Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8dawg6

Reaction score
Finally tried out my ruger old army:

IMG_0877.jpg

i was using a load of a little over 30 g. goex 3f BP, wonder wad, and hornady .457 bullet. Off hand group at 15 yds. i was shooting carelessly, just having fun.

This is a real nice revolver. I like the 5.5" barrel model. Always thought the 7.5" barrel old army was just too big and bulky (although a very fine target piece). I was sort of worried that the fixed sights on this one would be too difficult to see, or wouldn't be regulated. but they are working out just fine for my purposes.

real nice revolver if you are willing to shell out the cash for one. i'm going to try T7 next time ... goex is fun, and it works real well. but man is it messy. and i sure don't want BP fouling to rust this nice piece. probably will not even try these pyrodex pellets i bought for it ... have had a bad rust experience w/ pyrodex.

Thats a very nice pistol. Almost too purdy to get all fouled up. Looks like it's gonna be a real good shooter too. I like the grips, are they rosewood?

Black Powder revolvers are a lot of fun, but cleaning them is the pain. I like to shoot American Pioneer 3f or Pinnacle 3f personally. But last time I shot some Triple Seven 3f out of mine. I have a Peita .44 caliber which is nothing compared to your revolver. BUT I have to admit its a good shooter.

Were that a man sized target and you were aiming mid chest, that paper man would be having a real bad day...

Great looking sidearm and good shooting.

A couple of loads that you might consider for your ROA (I would not use them in any other C&B):

30 gr. Pyrodex P, 45 cal. 250 gr. Lee REAL cast from pure lead (no overpowder wad), grease over the bullet. The accuracy is phenomenal; my gun will shoot sub one inch groups from a sandbag rest at 25 yds. I have the 7 ?? model. This load shoots 6? above POA at that range. The ballistics are roughly equivalent to 45 LC. Should be enough power for deer sized game to 30 yards.

The other loading is not the best accuracy or power but is convenient for plinking. Using Pyrodex RS, fill the chamber flush with the top of the cylinder. Seat a RB and grease. Use only RS grade for this load. P will not compress enough to seat the ball. I would not consider T7 for this as Hodgdon advises against compressing T7. Have not tried this with Goex but might work with 2F.

blackpowderrevolver.jpg

This is my black powder revolver. Like I said, I like to shoot American Pioneer Powder. Its clean burning and likes to be compressed. I was surprised at how easy it penetrated that two inch dried out plank.

Since I used to do a lot of fast shooting with revolvers, I purhased a fast draw rig for this revolver. I love to go out and shoot at something 15 yards away in a quick draw style. While I am not real fast, it does show what a revolver at close range could do.

My Pietta has target sights on it. If you want to check out some good deals on powder flasks, and holsters try this site.. http://www.blockaderunner.com/other/sale.htm

Latest posts

Back