Buchanan Reloading press

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought one used but like new it's a well built press I mainly bought it to size bullets at the range My reloading equipment is in the garage and it quite cold in there so I decided to give it a try I FL sized 75 243 and loaded a box of 38 special I was amazed the power this little press has

Sho
My press is a Lyman turret from 35 years ago. It has served me well. 243 Winchester you say. My favorite.
shot a 243 for 70 of more years Took a ton of deer with it Couple years ago retired the old one have a new one had the old action trued had a brux 27' barrel and a full bedded aluminum stock put on it and 6x18 Leupold

Last edited:
Mine was a Ruger 77 with a Swift 3-9. Then hosed down with textured paint. Replaced the wood with a RamLine stock. Loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions it killed deer DRT. With Speer 70 grain TNT I shot groundhogs by the 100s. I burned the first barrel out about 15 years ago and replaced it. Very little recoil, multi purpose, child or lady friendly, It is a great rifle. Great caliber.

Last edited:
My press is an original RCBS ROCK chucker. Do not know when dad bought it exactly, i started using it under his supervision when i was 14. Going on 63 this year, still using it, loaded literally thousands of rounds and never had a problem with it...gotta love them green machines..🍻

That is a nice looking press. I have contemplated something along that line to keep me from going stir crazy while I wait for winter to end. I have a RCBS Junior and a Rockchucker at the other house, but still have to get a shop built here.
Last count I think was 30+ die sets from RCBS, Redding, and Herters. There may even be a Lee set in there somewhere.
Maybe 15 to twenty years ago someone gave me a 1917 Enfield that had the rear ears milled off improperly negating the use of factory bases. The front base was shimmed with a piece of white plastic, and the thing would not hold zero. I recontoured the rear bridge, made bases from scratch to accept Burris Z rings, reblued it, and refinished the stock. It looked pretty good, but I wanted to see if it would shoot. It had been rechambered in 300WM and I had no dies. So, I made a neck sizer die. I ended up giving the gun away.
Reloading is a great hobby, and that Buchanan press will surely bring many hours of pleasure.

Reloading is another rabbit hole. As stated there are many hours of satisfying entertainment. Loading bullets specific to the task at hand. Fiddle with OAL, powder charge, powder, bullet, primer, until you get the accuracy you wanted (needed).

I recall one of my favorite groundhog shots. I was traveling for business and was on another farm very early one summer morning. The farms I did business knew I always carried my .243 in my truck and I had permission to shoot the hogs. I located a hog standing in an alfalfa field keeping an eye on me. My only shot was almost directly into the rising sun. I parked my truck to use the mirror as a bench rest. I assume the varmint was eating grass as it had dissapeard for a minute. I was rewarded when it stood up into what we refer to as the praying position. As if it is saying its last prayer. I took aim and at the touch of the trigger a rainbow appeared above the dew in the alfalfa. Some of the rainbow included body parts and hair. That was 30 years ago and I still laugh.

RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press. Use it for mainly handgun loads. Those 45lc are very expensive. Don`t reload as much as past years but everything is there when I need it.

Latest posts

Back