Bore Photos, Where to begin?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxxy

Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about taking photos of the bore, I have some muzzle loaders I plan to sell and would like to represent them as honestly as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.....

worst thing I ever did was buy a Teslong scope. cleaned my muzzle loaders and my BP cartridge bores the same way for close to 60 years.
would have bet money they were squeaky clean. The bore scope doubled my work cleaning.
the best part of the bore scope is seeing hidden carbon deposits in the vent or flash channel. also lets you see into a patent breach.
Acceptable pictures can be achieved by dropping a AA size battery down the gullet. shine a light on the back side of the battery and snap your pictures.
also most supply houses sell the little button lights with brass housing that produce either a red or green light. this method is the easiest as you don't have to fight the light to photo.

worst thing I ever did was buy a Teslong scope. cleaned my muzzle loaders and my BP cartridge bores the same way for close to 60 years.
would have bet money they were squeaky clean. The bore scope doubled my work cleaning.
the best part of the bore scope is seeing hidden carbon deposits in the vent or flash channel. also lets you see into a patent breach.
Acceptable pictures can be achieved by dropping a AA size battery down the gullet. shine a light on the back side of the battery and snap your pictures.
also most supply houses sell the little button lights with brass housing that produce either a red or green light. this method is the easiest as you don't have to fight the light to photo.
I'm old. Wife says I need to meet you and pay for dinner and drinks before one of us goes.
I can afford it, I don't need to subscribe to your newsletter. God Bless.

I used to use the old light dropped down the barrel trick. For the most part a lot of the barrels looked like they were in good shape. UNTIL, I bought a Teslong bore scope! What at first looked shiny and bright was now pitted and eroded.

I take it to the LGS to inspect any gun I may purchase.

Sounds like ignorance is bliss. I have a Teslong scope for my centerfires. Remind me to never use it on my Muzzleloaders...

To reflect torch light find a ball bearing a bit smaller than the bore to use as a mirror. O.D.

I have a cheap bore scope but it works. I normally use a CVA bore light for .50 cal and uo. For .45 and down I use a Thill Nite Brire (bobber light).

Latest posts

Back