bdc scopes on muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
do you use a bdc reticle scope on your muzzy? I have a nikon plex 2x7x32 on my black diamond , did manage to take a whitetail in a corn field a few years back at 162 yrds using holdover. I have a bdc reticle on my .308 which works out very well. Just getting some ideas for glass when i get my new accura mr. Some of this bdc reticles are a little fine to suit me. Although I like the thought of the idea on a muzzy.

I have a Nikon 250 3X9X40 BDC on my original Apex .45 cal barrel and a Nikon 300 3X9X40 BDC on a 20" .45 cal barrel for the Apex. I like them both, but favor the 250.

I shoot traditional. I don't see an advantage in a BDC scope.
I don't use one on a centerfire either. When I see a shootable deer, it's a case of shoot now or it will be gone. No time to fiddle with a scope. Almost all my hunting is in thick woods.

I've taken six deer with the Apex and never used the BDC on any of them, but I've had a lot of fun shooting out to 200 yards at the range.

I also have the Leupold VX-R's with the fire dot & CDS dials.
and also the Bushnell DOA on 3 of my muzzy's and they work great from 100 to 300 yards, just put the dot for that range on them and that's it.

Dave

I'm with dlethcoe on the Bushnell 250 for practicality on a MLer in the field.  My .45 Kodiak Pro has one fitted on it and that's all the tuning I need hunting out to 250 yards.

My TC Black Diamond wears the excellent 3x9 Minox ZA-3 scope with BDC. Don't have any idea what the lines translate to in yards. i have the same scope on a .358 Norma magnum: That rifle has been fired to 500 yards and i know the ranges associated with the lines.

My brother, a friend, and I were doing some field condition shooting today from 100, 200, 300 yards.  The scopes used where a Bushnell DOA 250, Leupold VXR, and a low end Bushnell.  The other 2 had never shot at 200 or more and I had never shot at 300. 
I had shot the DOA before out to 200 yards and had good luck with the dashes lining up with the correct yardage.  Today it did the same and was close at 300.  I just switched to the Leupold VXR with CDS so I don't have the dial yet but was able to hit at 200 and 300.  I did use Isnipe ballistic app to get the hold over.  With the dial it would be much easier.
The lower end Bushnell was also shot by the least experienced shooter and he struggled at both the 100 and 200 yard target but did get hits.  I tried it at 300 and was close.  So all can work but the DOA was the easiest, with a dial the Leupold would be my choice, and lastly if you are going with a non BDC type scope get an app and verify the drops.

If your going to be shooting 150 yds plus i think it's a great idea. Mt MR has a leupold M8 4X33 fixed power woth a fine duplex which works fine to about 150 yds sighted in at 100 yds.

Latest posts

Back