Elk Load for Colorado

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldrgr

Reaction score
Brand new here. Did a search and read Big 6x6's July 08 post, "Devil's Advocate, 350 Gr FPB"

CO law: no scopes, sabots or pellets. My group drew cow tags for the La Garita, GMU 68 (NE corner of the San Juan's). Senior member of our group started rifle hunting there in '78. Most of the remainder of us joined him between '95 and '00 - always rifle hunting till this season. Terrain is mixed bag of both black timber and open plateaus, all above 10,000 feet.

I sighted in my new .50 cal Omega on Memorial Day with 348 Gr Powerbelts and T7 FFG.

Local vendors didn't have a lot of ML stuff on their shelves that weekend, so went with the PBs sort of by default.

Question is, given the CO restrictions on no sabots, is the 348 Gr PB satisfactory for shots on elk probably 100 yards or less and, based on experience, is there a viable/better bullet option like the HDY 350 Gr FPB or the 350 Gr Swift AF/HP? Did the 2008 season provide some resolution to the discussion in Big 6x6's July 08 post?

I saw these latter two bullets listed in the Hodgdon ML manual under the 50 cal T7 2F and 3F loads.

Thanks
Bob

Check Front Gander's powerbelt forum He lives in CO and test all Powerbelts.

You have to remember that he was comparing the FPB to sabots, not other conicals! He asked the question, "do we really need an improved Powerbelt"? I say YES!

You will hear more about this, but don't overload the powerbelts. If you use the 348 at less than 100 yards, I would stay at 100 gr or less of powder. Shoot them too hard and they will come apart.

I used the FPB last year on the lead cow (big one) at 80 yards shooting downhill. Entered through the top of the shoulder blade (1st bone), broke a rib on the near side (second bone) obliterated where the major vessels come out of the top of the heart, broke a rib on the far side (3rd bone) and lodged under the skin on the far side. The recovered bullet mushroomed nicely and had about 85% of its weight retained. Elk went less than 50 yards

I firmly believe if I had used the 348 gr powerbelt, I would have also recovered a dead elk, but don't believe the bullet would have still been in one piece and I might have had a longer tracking job after having to break 2 bones before entering the chest. I would try the FPB's and see if you can get them to shoot straight. They should hold together at higher velocities than powerbelts because they are a lead alloy, not pure lead like the powerbelts.

Personaaly when I used powerbelts, I used the 405 aerotip, but I suspect the 338 platinum would be ok too. Pricey though.

I was using 90 gr of BH209. I love this stuff in my Omega. The reason I used 90 gr is because it has plenty of power, was accurate in my Omega, and doesn't kick too bad.

I have never heard of a swift A/frame full bore conical for muzzleloaders

Thanks for the replies to date - am taking it all in.
The 350 Gr Swift AF/HP bullet is listed right under the 348 Gr CVA Power Belt in the 50 cal Triple 7 2F and 3F section of the Hodgdon Basic ML Manual (hard copy through the USPS).

Could not find this bullet in the data section of the Triple 7 link on the Hodgdon website. Typo?

unfortunately UC, because he is shooting an Omega, he probably can't get No excuses to shoot well. They shot 5 to 8 inch groups AT 25 YARDS in my Omega. Chances are, powerbelts and FPBs are going to be the only bullets he could get to fly well.

I've shot a gawboon of different powders and bore-size conicals from my Omega and this is the best I've come up with so far:

Fed 209A 100gr BH209 405gr Powerbelt HP 0.45? @ 50yds 3-shot group (open sights)

Fed 209A 100gr BH209 444gr Powerbelt FP 0.8? @ 50yds 3-shot group (open sights)

These are STOUT loads and will put an elk down with a decent shot. I personally think the 348 gr PB's are a little light for elk. The 444gr are difficult to find, but the ginormous flat-point slug will do the trick. Colorado hunters using TC Omegas and Encores have fewer options than the sabot states. 120 grains volume Pyrodex-P gives roughly the same velocity. USE THESE LOADS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I would use the 405gr or 444gr for Elk if I had to use a power belt. The lead they use is soft so get the biggest you can.

The Hornady FPB would be the better bullet in my mind. I have shot several deer with the 348 gr PB with 90 gr of pyro p. Most were DRT, but I would mention that we always found the bullet in the off hide about the same thickness as a quarter and just about as big around. These were chest shots under 50 yards. Penetration just was not as good as I would like, especially on an elk. It will work, but I would like 2 holes for tracking.

I shot 2 elk with an Omega 348 powerbelts,115 grains of T7 wad. although I got both elk, bullets were shaped like a half dollar when recovered. Now I use a White with 460 grain conicals, they really put them down. The 348 in a Omega will work tho,only conical I could get to shoot decent in it. Good luck ,ML hunting in Sep. for elk is as good as it gets.
RC

my inserts prevent that silver dollar shape. Normally with the 348 Aerotip / HP i wouldnt go over 80gr pyrodex or equal.

I guess I have to go with the new improved version. They shoot with excellent accuracy in my Omega,Triumph and Endeavor they carry better [shoot flatter] and while the PB's did alright the comparison leaves them wanting. And when Walmart sold out at the end of the year I got 12 pack of them for 5 dollars a pack that made the price comparison in the same category as the accuracy comparison at long range. Lee

Back