Deer Heart Attack

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
Iowa early muzzleloader started on 10/14. It was a beautiful day, but there were no shooters - one could've qualified, but it was day one. Sunday - Wed I was in Utah and got back late Wed night. I went back to the same area Thurs 10/19 and got situated by my tree at 6'ish. There is an alfalfa field at the horizon in the pic below, then the pasture, and then another alfafa field where I was standing to take the pic. The slope where I set up is considerably steeper than the pic would cause you to think. As it got light, I was surprised to see 4 does in the alfalfa field and I congratulated myself for not bumping them on the way in. At about 7:30, the does left. At 7:45, two bucks started making their way toward the field. Both were decent, but the one in back was the target.

It's 171 yards from where the pic was taken to the the blaze vest.
2006Shortyme.jpg

The pic below is taken from the tree/vest where I was sitting when I took the shot.
2006shortyhe.jpg

Once I got my pulse under control, I took the shot. The buck just stood there for a few seconds, and then he went down. After reloading, I sat and waited a few minutes and then took the victory march.
2006shortyA.jpg

You can count 10 points in this pic, but you can't see that one of the brow tines forks.
2006shortyB.jpg

The spread is about 20"

As it turned out, you can see that it coincidentally died from a heart attack just as I pulled the trigger.
2006shortyheart.jpg

It was a great hunt, and although it's my greatest point count, there is plenty of room to do better.

Best regards from the cob pile.

Nice buck and great shot. Congratulations with fine trophy. Do not forget to enter it in the contest.

Wow, nice looking buck and perfect shot placement! Way to go Corncob!!

Good story and great pictures. Congratulations on the nice buck.

Great buck cob...... 8) Better luck than what I have been having. :cry:

Where is the photo of the hunter with his prize??? :D

congratulations on an excellent buck and a fine shot. It's always nice when you can make your rifle work like that. That's a nice rack also..

Nice Buck,

It appears you and RAF are leading the big buck contest so far. :D :!:

Choc-dog

Back