Savage stikes again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Went out this morning. Temp about -2 and overcast with a very light north wind. Got into my blind about 15 minutes before legal shooting time. 10 minutes later saw a couple of shadows moving south of me at about 130 yds but could see what it was.
Things were a little slow as I usually see plenty of deer around legal shooting time but nothing moving. The 20 minutes after legal shooting time a deer appeared. He came out in a blind spot I have in my blind. My old eyes aren't what they used to be so grabbed the binos and sure enough it was a buck. Couldn't at first tell if it was a white tail or a mulie. Don't have a mulie buck tag. As he move could see it was a white tail and looked real good. Got the gun up and he started to run. Followed him in the scope and gave a whistle. He stopped, the Savage barked, the 250 bonded SW found it's mark and he hit the ground where he stood. Hit him right in front of the shoulder, through the neck. He wasn't as good as I originally thought, but he's a nice symetrical 5 X 5 with a big body. Neck starting to swell too. Later lasered the range and he was at 73 yds.. Just got him hung in the garage and will skin him shortly. Later today will post a couple of pictures. Unfortunetly, he didn't give me time to set the camera to get a video of the shot.

Just came in from skinning the deer. It would appear the deer was quartering towards me slightly. As I said I hit him just in front of shoulder. There was no exit wound visible until I skinned him. Found the remains of the Bonded 250 SW just under the skin. Flattened right out but the base was in tact. I'd estimate that 1/2 the weight is still there but I haven't weighed. Here's a picture of the entrance wound which is about the diameter of the bullet

Picture241.jpg

Here's the picture of the exit

Picture240.jpg

And of course here's a picture of the deer minutes after he hit the ground

Picture238.jpg

Way to go RAF!!! That's a nice buck :shock: . I haven't really thought about whitetails yet, but NOW I am. Good shootin'.

I'm heading out with my bow for Mulies Saturday morning, but I'll have the Savage along in case a big whitetail is acting stupid.

Again, way to go!! Cheers man :drinkers:

Thanks guys. After what I saw today, I'm going to have to get more bonded SW's. I've always sworn by the SST but this SW did what I expect from a bullet. Small hole going in and massive damage to internal. Bullet, IMO, held together pretty well. Before coming home today I fired a couple of shots into the sand. One was to empty my gun and the second was to try loading with the supplied sabot of the SW. They're the 24's and it loaded much easier. I should say that when I loaded up prior to the hunt I swapped sabots and put in a 12. I recovered one of the SST's from the sand. It had expanded nicely but there was less of it and when I cleaned it up the lead fell away from the jacket, which is not the case with the SW. Now I'm going to have to find some more of the bonded SW(the ones I got were the last one in the gun shop) and some MMP 12 sabots.

REALLY nice buck RAF! His neck is HUGE! You know that Bonded Shockwave went thru a LOT of deer!

Congrats on your buck RAF. Nice recap on the bonded sw as well. How did it group compared to your sst?

SKhunter said:
Congrats on your buck RAF. Nice recap on the bonded sw as well. How did it group compared to your sst?

Don't know, never shot it at the range. First one I fired was at the deer. Only thing I did was replace the supplied sabot with and HPH-12 for a tighter fit. Fits just like the SST. I'm pretty sure it will group the same.

That is a nice buck. I can sure understand why you shot him. He'd of never got a chance to pass my stand looking that nice. Also some impressive wound channels for the shockwave...

Great job.

Took a picture of the rack after I cleaned it up some

Picture246.jpg

Also scored it. Measured 135 2/8 with 19 inch spread and there were
1 5/8 inches in deductions.

RAF said:
SKhunter said:

Don't know, never shot it at the range. First one I fired was at the deer. Only thing I did was replace the supplied sabot with and HPH-12 for a tighter fit. Fits just like the SST. I'm pretty sure it will group the same.

:shock: guess it worked since you got your deer :lol:

Nice Deer

Dear RAF,

You keep shooting and posting nice deer like that and you will have to start an Outfittng business for the rest of us.

Choc-dog

Nah, that would be too much work :D , I'm retired. Besides my wife keeps me real busy between outing in the woods :D .

Back