breach plug life?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger8mm

Reaction score
do breach plugs have a life span? 100 rnds through my knight and no problems at all. or have i just not shot it very much?

I've been shooting my Knight with the stock #11 cap breech plug for 9 years now.........................Looks brand new once it's cleaned...............I also haven't had to replace the nipple either.

Breech plug live varies. Like Mark said, I too have a Wolverine that I have shot more rounds then I care to think, with #11 caps for years and it shows little to no wear. But on the other hand, I have a Knight Disc that uses the orange primer jackets, and it has worn out with only around 500 rounds. That's because the primer ignites before the breech plug.

Now on some of the other rifles I can not judge. I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum that has a thousand rounds through it, and shows no wear. I have a Black Diamond XR that is on its second one.

Keep your eye on the threads. Keep your eye on the vent hole, front and back. You will be able to spot wear. At that time, replace it.

Was just doing a hard inspection on my Encore. 10 yrs. old. Noticed the firing pin spring's life was coming to a near end. The pin's stem showed minor pitting. Also noticed the pin bushing hole was a bit out of round. After being in contact with T/C they said to send in the parts and they would replace them. Even getting a new breech plug and the hinge pin. Hard to beat the T/C guarentee.

I have two now with eroded orifices after 200-250 rounds in a Knight DISC using the concave FPJ breechplug. Accuracy decreased and I start blowing primers at the end of its life. I swapped out the breechplug and it returned to normal.

plug life

I used light( ish) loads in my Omega and variflame adaptors withsmall pistol primers and plugs used to last around 400 shots until the aperture opened up and groups got larger ( first symptom anolng with increased blowback). I get about the same number of shots out of conventional nipples in my Black diamond. Nipples are cheaper than plugs though...
I've been using Ampco nipples for awhile now( 500 rounds) and have yet to wear one out.Will report when it happens!

Latest posts

Back