load for a magbolt 150 .45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
hello, i have a cva magbolt 150 in 45 cal. just wondering if anybody has shot this gun and wat a good load to start with would be? thanks.

I have one that I bought new YEARS ago and I have never been able to get it to shoot a decent group. I hope you have better success with yours than I do.

I'd get some Pyrodex P, Winchester 777 primers and either some 225 or 275gr Powerbelt aerotips. Start off with roughly 70gr and see how it does.

I have a .45 Hunterbolt, which I believe is very similar to the Magbolt. It took me awhile to find what it likes, but now it shoots very good.

First of all, forget about using pellets- you'll need loose powder to get good accuracy. I would suggest Triple Seven, in FFFG form if you can find it. If you can't find FFFG, FFG will work okay too.

I would start out trying the 200 grain SST or the 200 grain Shockwave- both are pretty easy to find. Start out with 80 grains of powder and work your way up in 5 grain increments until you find something that shoots good. In my Hunterbolt, the 200 SST is the most accurate bullet (1.25" at 100 yards) along with 95 grains of powder.

I've also had good success with the 200 grain XTP with the same powder charge.

If you want to use Powerbelts, I was able to get the 225 grain to shoot good (2" groups) using 70 grains of powder. I wouldn't use more than 80 grains of powder with a Powerbelt.

Hope this helps!!!

i have tried the 225 gr. and 195 gr powerbelts, 225 was hp and 195 aero tip. also shot the 200 gr. shockwave and 180 gr. xtp. just seems like the gun wont shoot anything consistantly. any ideas? or tried 777 pellets(100 gr.) and currently shooting APP at about 95 gr.
is there something wrong with this gun? what kind of accuracy should i be getting?

magbolt150

I had a Mag Bolt when they first came out... mine was a 50 and I did get it to shoot fairly well but it took a while. That series of CVA's had the Spanish extruded barrel and mine was not the same size bore all the way down. Tried to shoot conicals for awhile but because of the differences in the bore not the best luck. Sabots on the other hand seemed to work best. I did not end up keeping it to long.

Another problem is the stock... The forearm of the stock is very flexible and will push up into the barrel causing accuracy problems, especially after the barrel warms up. So if you rest the gun on the forearm make sure you are way back towards the rear sight area.

Now then, the 45 - I can not remember what the twist rate on the 45 cal was but as I remember it really was not conducive to the 45 cal bullets that were available. Seems like it was to fast but can not remember for sure. Do you know the twist rate?

Do not know if any of this helps but you got what I know....

I am no fan of American Pioneer powder, only tried it in a 50.
The first thing I would do is throw away that powder.
I never had much luck with powerbelts either but I never tried using reduced loads either.

frontier gander said:
I'd get some Pyrodex P, Winchester 777 primers and either some 225 or 275gr Powerbelt aerotips. Start off with roughly 70gr and see how it does.

Yup, and my favorite for PB's is the 300g Platinum with 70g grains of your favorite powder. Sight in 3inches high at 100yards and your point blank to 150yards. This is a deer thumper that will usually pass thru, with great expansion and no fragmenting.

Remember the 45-70 ? Killed off most of the Bison...nuff said :wink: 8)

Magbolt,

I really think part of your problem is the pellets & APP. I never had any sort of consistency with pellets, and while I've never used APP, I've heard lots of reports of sub-par accuracy.

I would get a bottle of either 777 FFFG or Pyrodex P. Then start off with 70 grains & use the 200 Shockwaves, 180 XTP's & 225 Powerbelts. Work your way up in 5 grain increments with each bullet.

If this doesn't work, then there is probably something wrong with your gun. You can send it back to CVA and see if they find any problems with it.

the twist rate of the rifle is 1-28 and also i just found tonight that one of the scope ring mounts was missing a screw so i swapped a new set of rings on it (millet). dont know if that would be the problem or what but hoping to get it to shoot. cant really afford a new muzzleloader right now. really want an accura tho!!!!!! was going to sell my mossberg 535 three barrel combo to buy it but just cant do it right now. cabelas really had me thinking with there deal on the blue/black accura!!!!
anyways gonna get some more xtp sabots tommorow and pray i can get it to shoot. how much powder should i put behind them? what range to sight in at? also just curious why does everybody shoot fffg vs. ffg?

I started with 80grs of BH209 in my Accura 45 and a Hornady 200gr SST. Im not sure the 180gr XTP HP 40/10mm bullets will hold up as well since they were designed for use at much lower fps.

70grs of T7 FFFG or Pyrodex P sounds like a good start or 80gr of T7 FFG/Select with the 180 XTP HP sabots. The FFFG granulation is a bit finer and seems to have a little different fouling. Its finer too...for lack of a better description. T7 FFFG might also ignite a tiny bit easier but pressures spike faster too.

IMO it meters a little better from a flask also.

If you have been using the Shockeys Gold FFG or pellets...That is very likely a problem. Neither are known for accuracy. I had mediocre results with the FFFG in a 50cal just for lighter/cheaper plinking/practice loads.

Sofar for me the 200gr 40/10mm bullets have a slight edge on accuracy vs the 180s in both the Hornady (tan) and Harvester CR sabots. My barrel is also 1-28 twist but there's no telling until you hit the range.

magbolt150

Good with a 1/28 twist you should be able to shoot just fine...

Any loose or not right in the scope department can cause loss of accuracy - so hopefully that was your problem...

Get some Hornady 40/200 grain XTP's and either Harvester of MMP sabots and go shoot... I would still start @ 80 grains and work up...

so i went today to the range....... gun is still shooting all over the place!!!

was shooting 180gr. xtp with the supplied sabot, in front of 70-95 grains of APP.
i really have no clue why this gun will not group!!!!
i swabbed the barrel in between all shots. then cleaned it after every three shots. about to give up on this gun!!!!! just cant get it to shoot!!

send it over to me so i can take a look at it. Maybe take a look at free floating the barrel and see what else there is. I always have good luck with getting a cva to shoot, so if you want to, i'd be more than happy to check it out for you.

Back