TC Omega and conicals.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockervillan

Reaction score
I have read on here that an Omega does not shot conicals very well. So my question is how bad does it do? Is it like 3" groups or like 6" groups or worse than that? Any feedback is apreciated.

Before someone tells you that your Omega will not shoot conicals, I would try some different conicals. All rifles are different. I have a Black Diamond XR that shoots conicals fine. It has the same barrel as the Omega, but a different ignition action. So try the rifle.

Now if you have not purchased a rifle and want an Omega, and want to shoot conicals, I would tell you not to. I think you would have a better chance of a conical shooter with a different brand rifle. The best conical shooters out there IMO are the Whites.. Also the Knight rifles seem to do a pretty good job. As do the NEF and some of the other ones..

I have an Omega and shot some conicals.
The ones that didn't shoot good we Hornady Great Planes, Saber Tooth's, Bull shop .503's and some others that I don't remember the names.
The ones that shoot half way decent out of my gun are the maxi ball and maxi hunter. At 100 yards, open sights, I can get about 6 inch groups with maxi balls over 85 gr T7 2F.

I believe Hornady was using an Omega when testing their new conical, and it shot about 1" groups at 100, if you have one I would try it. If not, I would buy something else, there are several White 97's on gunbroker right now.

rockervillan said:
I have read on here that an Omega does not shot conicals very well. So my question is how bad does it do? Is it like 3" groups or like 6" groups or worse than that? Any feedback is apreciated.

The Hornady FPB shoots ok in my Omega.

I have one of the Omegas that up to this point, would not shoot conicals. How bad were they? From 3 to 8 inch groups at 25 yards with some bullets going through the target sideways.

HOWEVER, the new Hornady FPB does shoot well. I am getting 2 & 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 90 grains of 777 and open sights!

I have an Omega, it does not shoot conicals at all sometimes I can hit the backstop, It does shoot powerbelts into a 8" circle I actually killed 2 elk with that.
RC

Latest posts

Back