Discs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'disc' refered to is a small plastic round disc that holds the primer for many Knight muzzle-loaders. I'm sure a picture will follow shortly. Then we have the original 'orange' discs & the newer 'red' discs. It takes a specific bolt & breech plug to handle one or the other. I have 2 Knights that take the orange & 2 that take the red discs. You hear some grumble about using the discs but I don't mind them at all. I have a good supply going forward.

Yes I do reuse them at times. I know the common theme is to only use new ones for hunting, I thought I knew that. Well I loaded some of each for an anterless hunt & got tripped up. The primer was pushed into the disc on the shot. The primer did go off, but at the angle things ended up it failed to light the powder properly. At 1st I thought I had a gun problem, then discovered it was operator error. It was anterless & I tagged out later, but ALWAYS us new discs for hunting. I won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for the response. I was searching around for it and couldn't find a good description.

LexRex said:
Thanks for the response. I was searching around for it and couldn't find a good description.

Well, like they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". And a whole lot easier to type. :wink:

901107.jpg

901104.jpg

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.asp ... oncapsules

016-1.jpg

014-3.jpg

I personally prefer the Non- Full Plastic Jacket conversion. The metal piece is an extesion to the bolt. You just drop bare primers in, closing the bolt chambers the primer in the breech plug, opening the bolt extracts the primer, turn rifle to the right and spent primer falls out. Repeat.

011-4.jpg

007-5.jpg

Here they are side by side.

020-3.jpg

Back