2 days in, 2 shots, 2 critters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakx

Reaction score
Knight original disc, 250gr FTX, MMP short black sabot. 90 gr FFG.

Bang Flop #1 - facing head on - neck shot

169 yards lasered. HUGE ground shrinkage. Though it was a little doe. Crap. I was gonna try a poke at it when it was 202...but cooler heads prevailed. Recovered the bullet just under the skin at approx the T-loins. I will try to post pics of the bullet, but all have is my cell phone cam right now..poopy resolution.

Deer1.jpg

Bang flop #2 - poke his noggin just out of the trees - neck shot

60 yards cause it was dumb enough to see what all the commotion was about. Pass through. I think the bullet is still traveling

deer2.jpg

God do I love my Knight!! I don't think the Win Mod 70 . 270 is going to see the light of day this year.

Next week I'll see if I can smack me some quota antlerless Mulies.

Good luck all, Hakx

I have had friends around here question my sanity when I show up for modern rifle hunting with a muzzleloader. Funny thing is, I get my deer if I get a shot. Which is what this is all about when comes time to shoot.

Congratulations of some fine shooting and some excellent eating there. Those are going to be real good. That's the way to put them down.

Nice shootin, congrats on the fresh venison. Looking forward to the FTX photo.

Very nice !!!

sound like you have toooo many deer in your state , can you please push some in our direction !!!!!!!!! :lol:

UtahRob said:
Very nice !!!

sound like you have toooo many deer in your state , can you please push some in our direction !!!!!!!!! :lol:

Province :partyman: Alberta, Canada. (eh).

hakx said:
UtahRob said:
Very nice !!!

Province :partyman: Alberta, Canada. (eh).

Nowadays the deer may need passports to go across.
Nice deer anyway. There all fun when you take them with the smokepole.

Congratulations hakx! 8) How many deer can you shoot? Are the Whitetails and Mule deer seperate, or are they combigned in the bag limit? Just curious as to how they keep track of that?

Busta said:
Congratulations hakx! 8) How many deer can you shoot? Are the Whitetails and Mule deer seperate, or are they combigned in the bag limit? Just curious as to how they keep track of that?

I am in the area of Alberta that has tested positive for CWD. For the last couple of years when you bought your deers tag it was for.....whatever x 3 critters, then go back and buy another tag for whatever x3. We are in the later stages of the cull now. I can shoot just as many deer, but now I have to buy the tags separately per species. The only thing OFF LIMITS right now is Mule Buck - that is still subject to the draw (lottery) system.

Muzzle loading is not really big up in my neck of the woods, and we only JUST got a 2 week season last fall. Other than that, you had to inline hunt with the center fire crowd..who looked at you like you had three heads when you uncased the muzzle loader.

So, I have one more weekend of early season primitive, then center fire opens up 1 Nov, then on the 26th Nov I hunt on the army base that I am posted to for it's primitive season (three days). Lots of opportunity to convert critters to hamburger here.

One of these days I would love to head south for an inline Hog hunt. :drool:

black powder said:
Congratulations small deer meat is a lot better [for me ] nice shooting ..

I would much rather be make my presence known on a caribou. It's one of my "to do" things.

:D :D :D

Nice goin' :!: :!: Good shootin' :!: :!: When are you going to have us over for the feast :?: :?: :?:

good shooting! don't forget to get some sausage made out of it too! (My Fav!) I'm sure I have a longer "to-do" list since I have only been hunting for a couple of years.

Back