A little rescue mission

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
When I came home from fishing yesterday a couple of neighbor women, one on each side of the street, were trying to keep herd on a mother duck with 4 babies. It was apparent the the duck did not want to cross the street even thought the stream she wanted was on the other side. A little investigation showed that four other of her brood had fallen thru the grate cover to a storm sewer and were in the catch basin underneath.

So.... after getting the 150 pound cover off I used a long handled net to get the 4 back to safety, only to find that Ma had crossed the road and was on her way to the creek. One of the ladies hustled thru the park and was able to release the captives before Ma go to the water and it appeared to be a happy reunion.

This morning I had the sprinkler on the garden and what should sneak under the fence and play a while in the water and then commence to do a complete walk-thru of the back yard but Ma and all eight [yet] of her ducklings. Makes a guy feel good to help those little babies out, but really good that Ma would bring them back to the yard.

Attachments

• 348220146_1282035345753795_7190421665668254929_n.jpg
    348220146_1282035345753795_7190421665668254929_n.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1
I had a similar dealing once, minus the nearby stream…

Ma stood on the boulevard of the city street, quacking like mad, while we fished the little ones out.

We got them reunited, put the grate back on, and congratulated ourselves.

Ma herded the little ones into the gutter, and right back into the storm sewer! 🤬

Well done Tom. I know it's highly unlikely but maybe it was mama's way of telling you thanks. Animals remember and ducks can be pretty smart. Especially the one I try to coax into my decoys!

When I came home from fishing yesterday caught a couple of them neighbor women, one on each side of the street, a guy feel good to help those little babies out, but really good that Ma would bring them back to the yard.

Sorry Tom. Read your quote above !! But this is how I started reading your post and how my mind ran with it.

I loved both renditions of the story but I do have a favorite. 🤣

Back