50 cal loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
I know every ML is different as to what they like but if you happen to have a 50 cal Bobcat I'd be interested in knowing what RB and hunting loads you use plus what hunting bullets you use. Thanks

I have a couple of CVA Mountain Stalker rifles which are the same gun as the Bobcat.
Both of mine shoot pretty good with a .490 ball, .015 cotton patch over 75 grains of 3f black powder. I recently found that both guns shoot way better with the Hornady 240 grain PA Conicals and 80 grains of 3f black. I been using Goex and Old Ensyford, which is not available now that Goex has closed. Schuetzen or Swiss black powder are alternatives.
Pyrodex Select or Pyrodex P is good too. Pyrodex RS will work if that's all you can find.

I know every ML is different as to what they like but if you happen to have a 50 cal Bobcat I'd be interested in knowing what RB and hunting loads you use plus what hunting bullets you use. Thanks

I forgot to mention that I have both .490 an .495 RB and .015 pillow ticking and Triple 7 FFF powder.

I forgot to mention that I have both .490 an .495 RB and .015 pillow ticking and Triple 7 FFF powder.
I would suggest getting some .010 patches for the .495 balls.
They may or may not be tight with the .015's.
Triple 7 should work good for you.
Back in the 80's and 90's, CVA marketed the bobcat rifle to several different vendors, Cabela's, Gander Mountain and so forth. Some guns had 24 inch barrels and some had 26. They are all the same gun but with different names, bobcat, Mountain Stalker and Frontier.
Pretty much all the parts are interchangeable.
I saw one of your posts that you were looking for a wood stock for your bobcat. Check eBay, there's a Frontier stock for sale there.
I think the seller had the lock and trigger assembly on it already. Your barrel would drop right in.

Back