45 Cal Testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just doing some preliminary testing today, going to IL again later in Nov for deer hunting. I didn't like the fit of the Barnes supplied sabot, a little on the tight side for me. I switched out with the light blue Harvester crush rib type, the fit was much more to my liking.

I just shot at 50 yards. The 1st 'clean bore' shot went about 2-2.5" higher right, from the bullseye. I wanted to watch and compare to after the bore was fouled. The next 3 195 grn Barnes bullets went right in the bull, almost exactly. That was pretty much the way they have shot. While at it I loaded up a 200 grn Hornady XTP in the same sabot, since I was thinking about trying some while hunting.

The 200 grn XTP went in the same hole as the Barnes bullet. That about allows me to try some at any point without changing the scope. I'll likely start out with the Barnes. I was shooting 110 grn 'volume' charges of B209. The last time I used my chrony these averaged 2218 fps with the 195 grn bullets.

I didn't do anything between shots, besides the normal reload.

The next time I'll shoot at 100 yards or so.

No I did not try the non ribbed light blue sabots. Now with a good fit I think I'll stick with ribbed.

I may of used 120 grains a while back, but didn't do any detailed comparison with 110 grains. Many seem to use 110 with the 45 cal, seems like plenty to me, kick/ fps and all. I often use 120 grain charges with the 50 cal though.

I've had the same issue with the Barnes supplied sabots in my .45 as well. The gun is extremely accurate with them, but don't want to go through an abdominal workout just to load. Haven't tried the crushed ribs in the .45 yet, but now you've got me thinking.

I didn't realize they had a crush rib for the .45/.40 combo. I've only used the smooth light blue. The MMPs loaded a tad tighter for me and accuracy was close to the Harvesters.

Have you tried the smooth blue sabots, I was just curious if the smooth blue loaded a lot more firm than the crush ribs you are currently using.

Also just curious, have you ever tried 120grs in the 45? Mine surprised me and was a little more accurate with 120 vs 110.

Those 200 gr. XTP's really fly great for me also, I picked up some 147 gr. XTP's I'm going to try out of a few of my .45 Knight's, along with a few .45 CVA's. The 147 gr. XTP's are .355 in size and take a DARK BLUE MMP sabot for the 45's.

"fyi illinois has a .44 min bullet diameter rule"

This is correct. That is why I chose to shot full bore bullets in my Knight 45

Latest posts

Back