300 gr. Gold Dot, XTP, or XTP Mag for elk ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UC

The uni-core is a very good bullet, bout the only difference between them and the GD is the size and the nose. I saw your tests and I was actually surprised they shot that well with on 90 grains of BH. Shooting them here to get the best accuracy @ a 100 and beyond i really have to shove them out the barrel, I shoot them with 110/120 grains if of T7 or BH.

The Gold Dot has the higher BC - so Spreer charges more for them.

I can find the 300 grain XTP mags with little trouble and at several places, but the 300 grain non-mag XTP and the 300 grain Speers are all hard to find (at a place that REALLY has them).

I've had 5 boxes of XTP's on backorder at Midway since early September and was told by Hornady in early Sept they would ship by the end of October. Today Midway said the projected "in-stock" date was mid-November. Intuition tells me they will arrive just in time for Christmas.
Cob

Corncob said:
I've had 5 boxes of XTP's on backorder at Midway since early September and was told by Hornady in early Sept they would ship by the end of October. Today Midway said the projected "in-stock" date was mid-November. Intuition tells me they will arrive just in time for Christmas.
Cob

Good luck!

Underclocked said:
I can find the 300 grain XTP mags with little trouble and at several places, but the 300 grain non-mag XTP and the 300 grain Speers are all hard to find (at a place that REALLY has them).

I ordered some and hope they have them in stock .??? don't see they are on back order but you never know until you get them anymore .

:roll: :roll:

Maybe this time of 'bullet scarcity' is an opportunity for those of you in need of a good bullet to try the Nosler. This is a proven bullet, and no discussion is needed as to whether it will work on elk, deer, hog, bear, or whatever. Last season it did a real fine job on deer, for me, out of my Omega at around 1800 fps. The bullet is now for sale at half price at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=197816

ronlaughlin

I am and have been a Nosler shooter most of my life. They are outstading projectiles and are 'tough as nails' + they work as advertised.

Although in the past i preferred to shoot Noslers, their cost per bullet has it's draw backs. People looking @ XTP's, Gold Dots, and others - are looking for a less expensive projectile. The $ per bullet projectile really is not the most popular bullet used by hunters, I would venture to suggest that XTP's out sell Noslers-Barnes- SST/SW's and any other premium priced bullets 2 or 3-1

But if you are using a Nosler and you can still get them - you have a good one. It appears that Nosler has made the decision to stop making the Nosler partition in pistol bullets. It appears that the .458/300 grain (45-70) is still in production..

bullet

I can fin XTP/MAG in both 250 and 300 in all the box stores. I prefer the Mag as it is a little tougher and I tend to shoot em' fast.

I've shot a bunch of deer with either the TC 300 grain shock wave (black sabot) and the 300 grain Knight red hots (Barnes expander). Both have performed very well.

Re: bullet

Bucker said:
I can fin XTP/MAG in both 250 and 300 in all the box stores. I prefer the Mag as it is a little tougher and I tend to shoot em' fast.

The mags are easy to find , i have 3 boxes of 50 . I ordered a box of non-mags and they are on back order , so i told them to send me a another box of mags so i will have 4 boxes .
i also have 4 bags of bulk sabots on the way . Thanks to the new bill the governor of California signed , i think it going to get worse . Gun owners in Califonia should be buying as much ammo as they can before the ammo companies stop selling there .

Back