BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty

Reaction score
Hi im new to this site. I see a lot of guys on here are big fans of BH209.I think i mihgt like to give it a try. But if you dont swab between shots what happens when you go home and clean the barrel and then go on a hunt with that clean barrel is it gonna shoot the same :?:

It depends on the gun and what you use to protect the inside of your barrel,
I use a 50/50 mix of alcohol and Hoppes #9 to clean and Montana X treme Bore protector. I shoot till I am done before cleaning with BH209 and with a clean barrel [the way I hunt] it will shoot a half inch right and a half inch high. Since it is with in a minute of deer even at 200 yds I don't worry about it. I tried a lot of combinations and the only other one that gave these kind of results was with Birchwood Casey synthetic oil, but it is harder to get completely out of the bore before you load. Lee

Ican live with a 1/2 inch i will try that mixture. Think i could just finish with bore butter? . I just picked up a new kp1 i want to try out

smitty

Skip the bore butter - not needed especially shooting BH...

Oh Oh! I am not sure you can shoot BH from a KP1 - BP problems - but there are people here with much more information on that one than I...

I was gona use the bare 209 bp in that gun is that a problem

smitty said:
I was gona use the bare 209 bp in that gun is that a problem

That might depend on WHICH breech plug it is. Knight has a new plug for the Vision that is BH209 compatable. You might want to call Knight, they have more breech plug designs than Carter has liver pills.

Can you post a pic of your plug or describe it? Convex or concave powder end? Diameter of the flash hole? Does it have a magnet in the primer pocket?

The KP1 has had at least 1 engineering change of the trigger/hammer group and the breech plugs since it's introduction.

ok it bulges out so convex it came in the box with the gun the FPJ BP came in the gun i took that one out. the bare209 i put in the gun looks like it has a bigger flash hole then the one on my TC or cva?

smitty.. Welcome to the forum. :D

I'm from NJ too. (Sent you a PM). Tough finding a store with BH209 by me. Nobody has even heard of it. :shock:

smitty said:
ok it bulges out so convex it came in the box with the gun the FPJ BP came in the gun i took that one out. the bare209 i put in the gun looks like it has a bigger flash hole then the one on my TC or cva?

Sounds like you may be good-to-go, the only missing ingredient is BH209.

smitty said:
is ther a problem with the FPJ BP with BH209

smitty... I don't have a KP1 (I have a Disc Elite), but if your B/P is compatible with the Knight Vision, here's a thread that shows that new B/P for the Vision which seems to work real well with BH209:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... ght=vision

I've had mixed results with BH209 in my Elite. It doesn't hangfire, but I haven't be able to match the accuracy I get with T7. Prob. need to experiment more with it. However, I found BH209 to be very accurate in my T/C Omega.

Do you swab between shots with BH ? AND HOW DOES IT SHOOT CLEAN/?

smitty said:
Do you swab between shots with BH ? AND HOW DOES IT SHOOT CLEAN/?

I have shot between 30 and 40 shots without ever swabbing, the last group shoots as well or better than the first.

My clean rifles all impact first shots within the groups of a fouled rifle with the loads it prefers, never more than an inch or so, and that may be more me than anything. A couple things that will change your POI on some loads is a different primer or another type of bullet/sabot combination.

As mentioned, you will need to clean out the flame channel from the bottom of the primer pocket to the smaller diameter flash hole. 209 Primer carbon will build up in there pretty thick after 25-30 shots, a 1/8" drill turned by hand is the best remedy to remove it IMO.

I used the red FPJ's and CCI 209m primers in my KP1 without any problems.

I was shooting my huntsman and omega yesterday and before I left I cleaned the barrels and shot both guns both shot to same POI!

Sounds good I will give BH a try as soon as i could get my hands on some thanks

Back