44 cal revolver bullet, .450 diameter, in a 1:48 rifle??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
I am ordering a box of 44 cal, 200 grain .450 diameter, revolver bullets for my New Army revolver. Also, I am going to try them in my 1:48 twist Thompson Center Hawken. I am getting a pack of onion paper just in case I need to make the bullet tighter.
Do you all think this will worK?

I am ordering a box of 44 cal, 200 grain .450 diameter, revolver bullets for my New Army revolver. Also, I am going to try them in my 1:48 twist Thompson Center Hawken. I am getting a pack of onion paper just in case I need to make the bullet tighter.
Do you all think this will worK?
.44 caliber revolver bullets are .429” diameter.

you should just get some of the mmp sabots for the .429(if that's what they actually are) bullets and try them.. save you a lot of time/hassle unless your somewhere you can not use sabots.

He's talking a true original 0.44" caliber bore from the old days. Not the new fangled .44 caliber (.429" - .430" diameter) center fire bullets of today.

Do you know the diameter of your grooves? The lands should be 0.44". What is the inside diameter of your cylinder? Have you ever measured a slug from the cylinders or the bore?

Let us know how they work for you James.

From what im seeing, bullets used for 45cal PPing are much smaller. Around .433-.441 or roughly 11mm. They will need very light loading pressure or the paper will tear. I would also find out what alloy is used. You want softer alloys or pure lead. You might also need some kind of sizing die.

BTW DeerCreek has 45cal Maxis on clearance for about $8 a pack or 5 boxes for $30. http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c12/Closeout_Specials.html

Looking at OPs other posts it appears he wants to use paper patched bullets in a 45 caliber TC Hawken. .450” is too large, while .429” is undersized. Depending on alloy, he may get the .450” to go sans paper. I use .446” diameter bullets (40:1 alloy) and two wraps of 9# onion skin, then size to the particular barrel.

The 1-48 TC barrel is not optimal for PP, but may work with a stubby bullet. Never got one shoot well with 3-400 grain 45 cal conicals. OP won’t know for sure until tried. Personally, would probably try a Lee REAL over a felt wad if I just didn’t want to use a patched roundball in the 45 TC.

Last edited:
I know of at least 1 guy using 11mm to .443 PPed bullets in his GMB LRH drop in barrel but its a 1-30. Those barrels are super hard to find now. Rice and Oregon both offer new drop ins in fast twists.

Oregon comes in the white so you need to blue it
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=525&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes
Bullets I use come out of a RCBS 11 mm mold and measure .446/.447”. Use an adjustable Swing-Lock die after applying onion skin to get the ‘perfect’ diameter.

I’ve got three of the 45 cal GM LRH drop in barrels with the 1-30 twist. Love them. Got one setup for 300 yards, thinking ‘going long’ with one of the others, just have to find a place I can easily shoot. 300 yards is about the limit around the house.

Bullets I use come out of a RCBS 11 mm mold and measure .446/.447”. Use an adjustable Swing-Lock die after applying onion skin to get the ‘perfect’ diameter.

I’ve got three of the 45 cal GM LRH drop in barrels with the 1-30 twist. Love them. Got one setup for 300 yards, thinking ‘going long’ with one of the others, just have to find a place I can easily shoot. 300 yards is about the limit around the house.

I have been using that 11mm RCBS for many years now. They are a very good bullet.

I have been using that 11mm RCBS for many years now. They are a very good bullet.
Idahoron got me started on this RCBS bullet for 45 caliber paperpatching (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010281312) years ago. Never looked back. Tried others, but just found nothing as good, let alone better. Maybe a better choice is out there, just haven’t found it, at least out to 300 yards.

He's talking a true original 0.44" caliber bore from the old days. Not the new fangled .44 caliber (.429" - .430" diameter) center fire bullets of today.

Do you know the diameter of your grooves? The lands should be 0.44". What is the inside diameter of your cylinder? Have you ever measured a slug from the cylinders or the bore?

Let us know how they work for you James.
I need to slug the cylinder and barrel of all my guns. I have not done this yet. I have watched a few videos on how to do so.

Your cylinder chambers should tell the story, but it don't hurt to know the land and groove diameters of your barrel.

Latest posts

Back