Decoy shine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Mike

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest what to apply to turkey decoys to soften the reflection of the sun on them?

:D :D :D

Polyurethane spray in SATIN finish. Dries dull when I used it on one of my recurves. I scratched a recurve and had to sand it and then spray it to seal it again. It dries dull finish. Don't wipe it out. Let it dry and don't spray allot. Multy coats works best.

Just out of couriocity, why don't you like your hen decoys to shine? I have seen hundreds of hens while turkey hunting, and their feathers are quite shiny in bright sun shine. I have used the same rather shiny hen decoy for the last ten years and I never saw a Tom spooke once he saw it. Actually I bought it because it was about 2x larger than any other hen decoy and was rather shiny. Is your experience the oposite?

Just wondering.

ART338WM said:
Just out of couriocity, why don't you like your hen decoys to shine? I have seen hundreds of hens while turkey hunting, and their feathers are quite shiny in bright sun shine. I have used the same rather shiny hen decoy for the last ten years and I never saw a Tom spooke once he saw it. Actually I bought it because it was about 2x larger than any other hen decoy and was rather shiny. Is your experience the oposite?

Just wondering.

And the jakes and Toms really shine in sunlight . If anything I would use a gloss paint.

I'm rather new to turkey hunting. It was my thought the the shine on the decoy would spook a tom as not being natural.

Latest posts

Back