209 primer corrosion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd24.5.48

Reaction score
I've got a couple boxes of Winchester W209 primers that are starting to get some corrosion on them. What would be a good way to clean them up and a good way to store them without getting corroded?

Handling them individually to try and fix the problem will only make it worse. I would buy some new ones and shoot these for practice

That's a new one. I never seen that before. Could they have gotten wet?
Not that I know of. I found em at military surplus/sporting goods 2021 for $10/100 and bought 2 boxes because of the outrageous price everywhere else! I used em that year but didn't notice any corrosion until muzzleloader season 2023.

Handling them individually to try and fix the problem will only make it worse. I would buy some new ones and shoot these for practice
I ended up getting 4 boxes of Cci 209M primers and used them this year for hunting. The problem for me is that I'm getting a lot more blowback from em than the Winchester W209. I'm going to get some o-rings and see if that helps.

I'll get em back out and check em out this weekend and see if it will just wipe off or not. I didn't use any this year because I found the Cci 209M primers.

4-0000 steel wool will clean them
Thanks for the info. I'll get em out and check em again. I gave my brother a few of em during muzzleloader season and saw the corrosion but I didn't use any.

Take them to the range or go plinking. The more you do to try and clean them up the worse the tarnish will come back.

Take them to the range or go plinking. The more you do to try and clean them up the worse the tarnish will come back.
That's what I was going to use em for. I got a great deal on some blackhorn powder from a fellow member and was going to use it for some practice with my son. 😁

Back