Hornady XTP 155

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All kinds of those were shot during the "45 Super" years. Its one of the bullets marketed as being shot at 7mm-08 speeds using 3 pellets.

Premium bullets for killing a deer ? I am pondering how many times i have killed them while tree rat hunting. 5-50 yards shot them in the eyeball socket graveyard dead. Couple dz. i know when i was young

I'm loading 12.4 grains blue dot and CCI 300 primers using 155 Hornady XTP.
I'm expecting flash and a loud report. I'm using a Wolf 22# recoil spring in my Glock 20. I don't expect any probs.

Premium bullets for killing a deer ? I am pondering how many times i have killed them while tree rat hunting. 5-50 yards shot them in the eyeball socket graveyard dead. Couple dz. i know when i was young
You can't shoot'em in the eye every time under 50yds.
Time and money spent practicing and etc. When I put the crosshairs on a deer, I'm not worrying about the bullet.

When I used to shoot my 45 caliber Knight Disc elite that was all I used probably killed 50 deer and 1 black bear all DRT with shot to vitals. Bear I did shoot in base of the skull breaking spine and gave him a 2nd one. 90 grs. 3f verry accurate like 5/8" at 100 yards. 180 XTP is very good but my groups open up a little. Light Blue Harvester Sabot (Crush Sleeve)

I never had an XTP fail at smoker speeds, but I question whether they'll hold together well at smokeless speeds. Granted, some of my speeds using T7 and Bh approached smokeless speeds in my .45 Kodiak, but when I got to that point I switched to Barnes Expanders simply because I had concerns about the 200 grain XTP integrity at those speeds and wanted to go to copper anyway. I'm approaching 1550 fps with the load in my Optima pistol using BH and I use the 225 grain XPB bullet. The pistol is the only sub gun I hunt any more. The Woodman is the rifle of choice and its being shot smokeless and I use either Fury or Barnes bullets in it.

Yes, I have a Smokeless 45 caliber and the XTP's will not stay together. I have shot whitetail deer and wild hogs with them and they grenade. I use Barnes solid cooper for SML

I recently shot a couple out of a new to me, Jukar, Kentucky Percussion Rifle with Harvester regular blue sabots, 70 grains of Goex 3f and they shot well. Haven't tried them in my under hammer buggy rifle yet. They're a no go in the Kentucky pistol.

Latest posts

Back