New and Have no idea where to begin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hog Father

Reaction score
I have never owned or even shot a muzzleloader and with all of the ones on the market today, I don't even know where to begin. What I have decided so far is that I would like a .50cal and would like to keep it at or under $300. I am not real sure if it is even possible to do this but That is where I am trying to stay at. I guess I would like to put a scope on one or if there is a package deal I would consider that. I am not opposed to starting with a used one laready set up but not knowing if it is something I am going to pursue I don't want to invest a lot right off the bat. Any tips, suggestions, reccomendations, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Texas and as far as I can tell there is no restrictions as far as scopes or bullets or any other that I can find. Thank you and I am lookig forward to learning from this forum and all of you.

check out cabelas and look at the cva accura, they are all on sale at great prices. great muzzleloader too

Agreed.

Currently it is the best deal for a quality rifle and user friendly. My next choice would be a TC when on sale at WallyWorld but i hate shopping there.

Hog Father

This is also a very good gun + there is a rebate from directly from TC.. + also keep in mind TC has a lifetime warranty on the gun

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 70001&rid=

One other most moder TC ML - again with a TC rebate...

And these are the Accura's, but be advised CVA is coming out with a new model that will have some form of a speed breech... These use the same BP as type BP as the Omega and the new one will something like what comes in the Triumph...

Cant beat that deal on the Accura. Check e-bay for a good scope. I found a Nikon Buckmaster 4X40 new for $119.00.

There are a lot of rifles out there. If your shooting is out to 100 yards, almost any of the new rifles on the market will do the job. Also think of how many days a week you are really going to shoot the rifle.

I don't own an Accura, or a Omega, actually I don't own any of the new inlines other then my Genesis. If you go on the gun auction sites, you can pick up an older technology rifle like a Knight Wolverine, or one of the Older Thompson Center rifles and get them pretty reasonable. Although some people think they should be paid what they originally paid for their rifles. Then you have a little left over for a scope.

If I owned no muzzleloaders at all, and was starting out, wanted one rifle, and wanted it to last for ever I would get a Thompson Center Omega or Triumph. They are normally very good shooters, and have T/C to back them up. CVA Accura from all I read, is a good rifle also. CVA has good customer service.

:roll: There sure is a lot of choices out there. What is the advantage/ dis advantage of bolt action or a break open?

Hog Father, I am fairly new to the muzzleloader world so take what I say with a grain of salt. My wife was the one who wanted a ML so we did some research and she took the plunge,, twice.

When we started looking at all the different guns available, we decided to keep it simple and try to keep it as cheap as possible. The reason for staying cheap was to avoid sinking a lot of money into something that would only be a short term interest.

Simple to us was gun with a removable breech plug that didn't require special tools or gadgets.
To us, the break-open models fit this description. Easy to load, easy to shoot and easy to clean. What surprised me was how accurate these new style muzzleloaders are.

Now for the cheap. Take your time and do some research on the internet. Look at different ML's and write down the avg prices. That way you will KNOW if your are getting a bargain or getting hosed.
Look in the local classifieds, pawn shops and your local gun shops. Have your price list with you. I've seen used ML's selling for more then the new price, especially at the pawn shops. Don't be afraid to wheel and deal on a used gun. If dealing with a individual, ask to go shoot it. Also when dealing with a individual you MAY end up with accessories(powder, bullets, primers, etc) that will cost you extra at a store. Know the price of this stuff so you know what you are paying for.

Remember, cheap is not always a bargain and a bargain is not always cheap.

I don't know if your county now has the new muzzleloader season like our county does, but I have heard that Texas is proposing a primative arms season like Louisiana and several other states have. Something to consider if you would rather shove a bullet and pull the trigger. We'll stick with the ML's.

Whatever you decide on, have fun with it. Good luck and listen to these folks on here,,, they KNOW thier stuff,,,,,,,,,,, kinda... :D :D

It's great to hear that you are interested in muzzleloading. Get ready... it's an addicting sport. I agree with Sabotloader and Cayuga about Thompson/Center products. If taken care of they should last a lifetime. My first buck taken with a muzzleloader was with a borrowed TC Omega from big 6. It's simple enough to start with and built good enough to stay with. A great gun and you should find some good prices now at the end of the season. Let us know how it goes. Good luck. :)

Nutoy,
Thaks for the advice. I am in Harris county, but Colorado county which is one of the ones I hunt has the ML season this year. I always do things too quick and regret not looking at all options. I am going to do like you said and explore all options and do some homework before I buy one. I don't even know how to load one of the things and would like to shoot one before I buy one, but I don't know any one who has one to teach me.

Contact your local gun clubs and see if they can put you in touch with someone to help you out.

DC

Cabelas has triumphs with a scope on sale for $350 right now.

The Triumphs for 350.00 at Cabelas are just for the rifle. The ones with scopes are $100 more. They come with a Powderhorn 3x10x40 scope. The scope got mixed reviews, loosing zero was mentioned on several reviews. As far as the Triumph, thats a great gun, the price is ok. They were on sale for 249.00 a few months ago.

for $249 you can get the stainless steel/black Optima with the new QR Breech plug. It comes with the Accuras Sweet trigger too.

Once you get started with one gun, you'll end up with a safe full!! I had one , now i've got 5! All side locks, no inlines. :shock:

Hog father i owned a cva optima and really liked it. I currently have a knight extreme that i really like. You could not go wrong with T/C either. I wont ever sell my knight, i gave my CVA to my brother ( only cause i wanted him to get into muzzle loading) for the money knights are coming cheap for a really good muzzle loader.

knight wolverine

Tell you what, i just bought the wife a knight wolverine youth model new in box with starter kit 150.00 and after seeing the overall quality. i wouldn't hesitate buying one in the full size version also 150.00 new in box minus the starter kit. olde english outfitters..shipping was 16.00.i did my homework and these are workhorse rifles that last for years.quality green mtn barrel,great sights,nice recoil pad and a quality synthetic stock.perfect no frills first time M/L rifle IMHO.that being said i shoot a triumph and a renegade.

Back