Been lurkin', now questions!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter1

Reaction score
Alright all you muzzleloader FE's tryin' to get the best load possible out of my Accura before next season. Used to run 2 T7 pellets and a 250 gr TS out to hundred yards with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9, never really figured I would need the Omega, waste of money IMO.

Just wonderin what everyone esle uses for results, plan on starting a new bottle of BH209 with some Harvester crush ribs. What bullet at 100-150 should I use and what to expect? Here alot about Hornady, is this just the standard box of reloadable bullets? I am new to anything that involves not being able to just buy off shelf.

I have taken many deer with Powerbelts out of unscoped Optima and with the preset package of 250 TS's with new scoped Accura but not sure on starting all new.

As an option also try the T-C 200 grain shockwaves with BH-209 powder.

Load 100 grains, then 105 grains and then 110 grains.

chocdog

im working on a powerbelt/american pioneer combo right now. I tried cci inline mzl primers about 15 minutes ago and they are just to darned dirty. They shot excellent groups but just way to dirty, Im going back with the remington sts primers.

im shooting between 80-100gr APP and compacting it hard. 245-295gr powerbelts

Shooter1

UC (underclocked) has worked up some really great loads with that gun - send him a PM and ask him for some details - he loves sharing and his information will be real time.

Thanks Sabotloader and everyone else!!!!!

One thing nice about this forum is the quick turn around! I want to stay away from the the PB if possible. They just don't seem to have the down range accuracy that I want like a saboted bullet.

Any more info is greatly appreciated and utilized.

Scott

not as accurate as a sabot ? :lol:

check out some thor conicals if youre lookin at those, those have excellent down range accuracy like the pb's

The Hornady FTX 325 grain shoot great out of my encore with the crush ribs over 120 grains blackhorn. The 325 measure .458 so you need the crush ribs, they load fairly hard (70 pounds on the scale) but blackhorn likes a tight sabot. The 250 grain FTX measures .452 so you can use the regular black harvester sabot and load a bit easier (35-40 pounds). The FTX is similar to the SST and shockwave but is a little tougher and has deeper grooves in the tip. I shot two decent bucks this year, one ran about 40 yards, and the second one dropped in his tracks, both double lungs hits- I am sold on that bullet :)

Shooter1

PowerBelts - really are nothing more than an elogated Round Ball - they are very soft. If you are rewuired to shoot full bore conicals they are a solution but there are far betten full bores out there. So I vote loose the the PB's.

Underclocked, if I remember right got excellent results with a Speer Uni-Core .451/300 grain bullet, although Ireally prefer the Gold Dot. I myself am not much on pointy bullets as my ranges are all under 200 yards so these Gold Dots are on of the bullets I would shoot.

UC, has shot several differnt projectiles but i do not remember his powder loads. Actually he started with a Accura and has now moved on to a Apex.

Give him a shout

Shooter1

First off, in my Accura the crush rib sabot is a touch too loose, so i use the smooth Harvester Sabot.

A very accurate load in my rifle is 300g 44 caliber xtp purchased in lots of 50 in the hand loader sections. It may be some hard to come by. The 44 caliber Speer Gold Dot is also quite accurate, and has accounted for a few deer out of the Accura, but it may also be hard to come by. The 45 caliber 300g Nosler Partition works too, and really smucks deer.

My Accura works well with 105g BH209, and W209 primer pushing those components.

These loads all are accurate out to 200 yd with around 5" of drop at that range when around 3 1/4" high @ 100 yd. You won't have any trouble coming up with a load that is good to 150 yd.

Heres a sabot load right out of my Accura.

120gr Pyrodex RS - CCI Inline MZL primers, .451-.452 ( i forget which)300gr hornady xtp mag in an MMP-24 sabot. These load firm but as you can see, its worth a little effort loading it.

Give the rifle a few minutes to cool down between shots,
XTP120grRS003.jpg

Latest posts

Back