You guys start talking about handguns makes me need a new toy ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Talking about handguns makes me need a new toy ...

Have these GRRW. CA guns on hand:

GRRW. CA NW Trade Gun by Doc White #NW01CA
GRRW. CA H.E. Leman Trade Rifle
by Les Bennett #L02 CA
GRRW. CA J&S Hawken Rifle
by Carl Walker #H03 CA

Need to start collecting parts for a:

GRRW. CA Trapper Pistol built by Ron Paull #TP04 CA

Will order 2020 supplier catalogs tomorrow.

trapper.jpg
Then I need to decide what to build; a full stock or half stock, percussion or flint stock. Will be in .50 caliber like the other guns shown.

Last edited:
Here's a list of items needed for such a build.

Trappers Pistol Parts List:
Lock, Bailes. # Lock-LR1600 (Percussion) For Flint ignition #Lock-SQA-FR
Drum, # Drum-75-FL (not needed with flintlock)
Stock, Pre-carved Maple # Stk-HPF-15-M1 (M2 for curly maple) (W1 for walnut)
Full Stock, Blank # Maple-PF-1 (PF-3 for curly) # Maple- PF-H prefix for half stock blanks. *
Barrel, #GMT-54-C-12
Percussion nipple, # RST-S / for flintlock substitute nipple with vent liner #THL-S4W
Underlug, # UL-NW-1
If half stock: Under Rib # RIB-TR-15-20
Nose cap (Silver) FC-PA-15-S This is for a half stock pistol only *
Side plate: # SP-OHLB-I
Front sight: # FS-TC-TW-B
Rear sight: # RS-KC-18
Trigger guard # TG-P2-I
Trigger # TR-Leman-1-T / Trigger plate # TR-Leman-1-P
Ramrod pipes for Half stock:
Entry pipe, # RP-TC-RE-5-I (I) denotes Iron, (B) for brass and (S) for silver*
Front pipe, # RP-TC-RH-I
For Full stock pistol:
Same Entry pipe (if an entry pipe is desired)*, front pipe # RP-TC-RF-5-I
Ramrod: # Ramrod-5, ask for this to be cut into 12” lengths as its for a pistol.
Ramrod tips, front tip: # RT-TC-6-8-FB
Rear tip: # RT-5-8-B
Cleaning jag: # JS-54-6-8
Breech plug: # Plug-ST-16-5
Bolts and screws: Lock, # Bolt-L-8-R Tang, # Bolt-T-8-F-L #Pin-3/32 (order 2 of these)

*Denotes optional items for the Trappers Pistol and usually require additional labor charges.

I'll keep you informed on cost of parts for those thinking about wanting to assemble a pistol.

Last edited:
It's a shooter, too. But first on my bucket list is a Colt 1862 Pocket Police.

I'd like to build a single shot handgun. I can't ever decide the caliber nor the ignition. If I could only afford all. My idea is something to accompany the rifle. I think I would use it for opportunistic applications. For example, I am hunting one thing and decide to take another thing that is totally different (Deer-Bobcat; Squirrels-Hog). Right now I use a short barreled 1858 revolver with .454 ball for some applications, but a few places where I hunt it is not allowed. A single shot loaded through the muzzle would be allowed. You guys have some really nice hardware there.

I had the same thought years ago and wanted a pistol that favored my rifle and used the same ball. I'm glad I did it way back then. Once again is the photo of the pistol but with a photo of the companion rifle, both .50.
PICT0369-1-zps544bf87a.jpg

7405ae69-0012-4efa-886d-2651c9c08aae-zpswsnzqleq-1.jpg

Those two are to be envied Hanshi. A gunsmith friend of mine in NM ( now 86) used to burn maple with a acid solution to get the same results I'm seeing on your flinters. Anyone have any idea what he was using ?? Thanx for any reply..Out

I'm not a builder and I let the professionals have their way with mine. Here's my one and only.

Hanshi this is a nice pistol and should be a shooter as you say. One reason is when you throw it up to shoot your probably close to dead on. One reason is the shape of the grip (butt), over the years the grip isthe one thing I look at.

traditions-kentucky-pistol.jpg
The shape puts your hand at an uncomfortable angle.

great-plains-pistol-main_2_1.jpg
This shape is better than the first one, but still a little off for comfort.
traditions-pirate-pistol-flintlock-p1430_1.jpg
Not much for improvement.

pedersoli-harpers-ferry-flintlock-pistol-58-cal-s-320-58.jpg

This is better than the other three, just heavy with all the extra metal.

Yours is much better than the others by far.

Last edited:
Mossie, could it have been ferric nitrate - basically just iron dissolved in nitric acid and similar to iron dissolved in vinegar?

Buck, when I had the pistol built I gave the stock much thought. I asked for that stock shape in lieu of the more common "C" shaped handle. It looked more comfortable to me and it turned out it was.

Hanshi thank you for your input. For new and old shooters, we all want the firearm when held be on the target at point of aim. In this case your grip (stock handle) will do just that. I have walked away from many firearms over the years for just that reason, poor sight alignment (sight picture). In today's busy world we don't need to spent unknown amount of time trying to get reproduction or modern firearms on target (within reason).

Last edited:
All three of the arms pictured had a long, productive and happy life in the woods and on the range, but they are now long gone. But I direct your attention to the Rogers & Spencer at the bottom. I tested it for accuracy several times and it shot right along with my modern .45 acp. At 25 yards it gave small, satisfying groups. But that d%#@*& "front sight" was only a tiny brass peg and would not stay on the barrel. I considered having it "smithed" with real sights; but in the end I sold it. It was not possible to sight in with that lousy peg. Back in the 60s I got an 1858 New Army .44. Very good revolver. I astonished a friend once by casually shooting a buzzard out of the sky with it. These smokers are no joke, that's for sure.

PICT0360.jpg

We always find disbelievers - that these "clubs" as referred to by some will not shoot as good as their modern counterparts ..... :coffee: Surprise folks ....... :thumbs up:

Last edited:
I enjoy all the beautiful history, work and talent displayed on this site. Helps make my day. Thanks guys!
Your welcome, Jonathan works hard at keeping those looking for a "cat fight" at bay. Nice to see guys with like interests, we all learn from the experience.

Last edited:
All three of the arms pictured had a long, productive and happy life in the woods and on the range, but they are now long gone. But I direct your attention to the Rogers & Spencer at the bottom. I tested it for accuracy several times and it shot right along with my modern .45 acp. At 25 yards it gave small, satisfying groups. But that d%#@*& "front sight" was only a tiny brass peg and would not stay on the barrel. I considered having it "smithed" with real sights; but in the end I sold it. It was not possible to sight in with that lousy peg. Back in the 60s I got an 1858 New Army .44. Very good revolver. I astonished a friend once by casually shooting a buzzard out of the sky with it. These smokers are no joke, that's for sure.

PICT0360.jpg
Its a good thing you didnt get caught killing a buzzard. In most states they are a protected species. A mininum of $1,000 and jail time in Missouri.

Back in those days and in the place where this happened it was "back woodsy" with much land and not much in the way of people. Also I've been known to be naughty on occasion and the statute of limitations has run out.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Back in those days and in the place where this happened it was "back woodsy" with much land and not much in the way of people. Also I've been known to be naughty on occasion and the statute of limitations has run out.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I also have killed meadow larks, thinking they were quail. But I cleaned them and ate em. Not too bad. How did the buzzard taste😲

Latest posts

Back