Finally shot the Knight Disc Elite .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
It was chilly and windy this afternoon, but I have been itching to shoot this rifle. I have had some concern about the crown on this rifle, it was not very well done, and I think I may have it recrowned. Ignition was perfect with all loads, but I ran into a small problem with my favorite primers using 125 grain loads.

I eyeball bore sighted it prior to shooting, it actually was only 2-1/4" to the right and 1-3/4" high with a light 80 grain load of Blackhorn 209. After that shot I moved it back 9 clicks to the left and decided to leave the elevation where it was. I then loaded 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 and the 200 grain SST and shot again. That load printed 4" high and 1/2" to the left. I then turned it down 12 clicks to hopefully move the impact down 3" to be 1" high.

027.jpg

Next I shot the group in the lower right of the target. 120 gr BH209, 200 gr SST's, Win W209 primers, for a first group of 2.29". I wasn't real happy with this group because I though I held better than that.

032.jpg

The next group was in the top left of the target. 110 gr BH209, 200 gr SST's, Win W209 primers, this group measured a more respectable 1.62".

033.jpg

I was saving the lower left for some heavy lead, I wasn't sure if the 1:30 twist would stabilize these bullets, and the first shot answered that question, without a doubt. No, not with 80 grain of powder anyway. I was aiming at the lower left bull on the target and the bullet struck near the upper right bull, going sideways through the target. This made a near perfect profile of that bullet. :shock: 80 gr BH209, 350 gr White Power Star saboted bullet, Win W209 primer, terminated that experiment after one shot.

036.jpg

So after that, I deceided to shoot one last group at the untouched lower left bull. My impact was 1" to 2" high where I like it, but it was averaging 1/2" left so I deceided to move the scope back 2 clicks to the right. This scope is the Leupold Ultimate Slam, so I am going to have to get used to sighting in right on the money, then checking the longer range dots for accuracy. My powder measure only goes to 125 grains, so I opened it all the way up to 125. 125 gr BH209, 200 gr SST, and this time I deceided to use my favorite Fed 209 primers. The group measured right at 1" exactly, but all three Fed 209A primers would not drop out of the NFPJ bolt extension. This is a minor annoyance, just need to recock and dry fire, and they all dropped right out after the dry fire. This knocks the primer back into the battery cup and allows them to fall out. I was pleased with this group.

031.jpg

After the last group my fingers were numb, so I packed it up for the day. I will probably shoot more later in the week, before I deceide whether I want to do the recrown, but it looks as if it may be needed. This was a new NFPJ conversion I bought just for this rifle, ignition was perfect, but it does allow a lot more soot/blowback into the bolt area. The one I have for my Disc Extreme lets very little pass by the primers. I think a little mod is in order for one of these plugs. ;)

Thanks for sharing Busta.

I have the same issue with the CCI 209M primers. Actually most of the time I end up just pulling the entire bolt and flipping the spent primer out. Just faster, quieter and easier than turning the rifle over and shaking it until the primer falls out.

Still beats using the jacket.

I'm dying to get to the range and run some Lehigh and Hawks through my 45.... Ya gotta love March in Michigan.

Yea, I need to get as many different types of bullets as I can for this .45, and some harvester light blue sabots to try with these SST's. Need to make a trip to Jay's, Bob's, or Cabelas soon to stock up. I have boat loads of .50 cal stuff.

Blackhorn & SSTs. I see a trend here. Seems more than one rifle likes that combo. Nice shootin' pardner.

B...man
Please explain the nature of the crown issue with the Knight 45. Curious...

Thanks for the report Busta !

What breach plug modifications do you have in mind ?

I tried Lane's "modifications" on the domed (Revolution) plug on my Elite. Working good....so far. Thanks Lane :yeah:

Looks like a heavy charge and a light bullet is the ticket. I sure am seeing a renewed interest in the .45's lately. It's making me wish I would have got one a year ago when there was such a bargain on the elites.
Art

Spitpatch said:
B...man

Spit,

When they put the the chamfer in the crown they leaned a little harder on one side, so it is not round or concentric with the bore. This is easily seen with the naked eye. The chamfer is almost a sharp edge on one side, and very much there on the other side. It just doesn't look good, and I suspect when the sabot is leaving the barrel, the pressure is not equally distributed. I have some things to do, but if I get time later today, I'll try to see if I can capture it in a pic.

While you shouldn't have to be the one to fix this Busta.It is a fairly easy fix.Just use a Round Head Brass Screw or small bolt with some valve grinding compound and a drill,it will fix you right up
Busta said:
Spitpatch said:
B...man

Spit,

When they put the the chamfer in the crown they leaned a little harder on one side, so it is not round or concentric with the bore. This is easily seen with the naked eye. The chamfer is almost a sharp edge on one side, and very much there on the other side. It just doesn't look good, and I suspect when the sabot is leaving the barrel, the pressure is not equally distributed. I have some things to do, but if I get time later today, I'll try to see if I can capture it in a pic.

busta

Busta.. I think you will like the results when you get your lite blue harvesters. Nice report, you always seem to have interesting info.
Wayles

Busta said:
It was chilly and windy this afternoon, but I have been itching to shoot this rifle.

Great report Busta! I think the weather played in some on your groups :wink:

That NFPJ conversion gives me a head ache too! But I endure it only at the range :)

Nimrod

Do YOU have the New Lehigh Bullets in 40cal??? :?:

I wonder how a 220gr/240gr Dead Center would shoot in your Disc Elite .45 and how ignition would be? Those bullets shot great for me several years ago using Triple Se7en...

Thanks for the report! 8)

lane said:
Busta said:
It was chilly and windy this afternoon, but I have been itching to shoot this rifle.

Great report Busta! I think the weather played in some on your groups :wink:

That NFPJ conversion gives me a head ache too! But I endure it only at the range :)

Nimrod

Do YOU have the New Lehigh Bullets in 40cal??? :?:

Yes I do. Wind and rain won't cooperate though. Haven't had a chance to shoot them.

Underclocked said:
I'm amazed that Powerstar did that, crown must need work BAD!

Your telling me, see for yourself. I had to compress the pics, I hope you guys can see them. I have a 22" screen and a blind man could see the piss poor crown on this rifle. If it were not one of the last ones, I would have sent it back. I will be getting it recrowned. Please excuse the dirty bore and the Q-Tip fibers, I just swabbed the crown and the first inch or so to take the pic. I got some new sabots and bullets today, plan on shooting again this weekend. First pic right side up, second pic upside down, little lop-sided to say the least.

What do you guys think? :lol:

013.jpg

014.jpg

Busta

I can see it and that is not good... I had to re-crown the Extreme MHC - that I got last year also - but it was not off as far as that one. That has to be effecting your accuracy.

sabotloader said:
Busta

I can see it and that is not good... I had to re-crown the Extreme MHC - that I got last year also - but it was not off as far as that one. That has to be effecting your accuracy.

Any pointers on your method? I have read that the method SwampFox posted above works well. A lathe would make quick work of it, the bore looks to be perfectly centered although I haven't measured it.

Thanks guys for any advice on a DIY recrown. I guess I could call Knight and see if they would recrown it, or replace it with one of those old 1:20 twist barrels. :lol: Green Mountain chopped the receivers off those barrels, it sure would have been nice to get ahold of some of those that would drop right in.

lane said:
Underclocked said:
I'm amazed that Powerstar did that, crown must need work BAD!

I think that Powerstar is way to long to be stabilized in the 1:30 twist barrel IMO :shock:

I agree Lane, unless I kick it up to 150 grains of powder. :shock: That might get it spinning. :lol: I was just curious and didn't want to over-do it. Those will shoot into 1 hole in my 1:20 twist White .451 M-98 ELITE.

006-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back