Still no TC Impacts at my local Cableas but..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I did finally get to handle the new CVA Wolf and Optima....ME LIKES!!!!! I REALLY like the way the new Optima "shouldered" and IMO it had great balance. It felt very narrow and lighter than its listed weight.

They also had a Lyman Mustang. Very nice looking until i gave it a good inspection. I liked the steel construction and feel. Then i tried the safety and barrel release. Both are VERY tough to engage and/or release. The primer pocket has no shelf to head space the primer against but had an interesting funnel shape to the flash hole....looks like a good platform for a custom breach plug.

The new Traditions Vortex had a very nice feel too but the porting IMO has potential for issues. It really felt nice though.

I was hoping they had one of the discounted TC Omega black and blue thumbholes listed in the bargain bin but as usual all they had were $400+ Omegas at the store.

I dont need anymore but its still fun to "feel" and inspect other brands and models. None of the new JSG was available either but i did notice a change on the 777 magnum pellets. The listed fps is now listed as 2000fps. My old box listed 2100fps or more if i remember correctly.

BTW pricing on all the powders ATM seemed really high. Even APP/JSG was over $24/lb. Good thing Grafs is close. :yeah:

Sounds like a fun trip. What do you think of Accura vs. Optima - in terms of the way they shoulder, build quality, etc.? I like both, but haven't been able to shoot either.

santoslhalper said:
Sounds like a fun trip. What do you think of Accura vs. Optima - in terms of the way they shoulder, build quality, etc.? I like both, but haven't been able to shoot either.

Well i could not try the Optima or Wolf trigger unless i wanted to get a employee but i do like the way the gun feels better than the Accura.

Build quality seemed similar with a slight edge to the Accura...just a preference really. I did like the Optima's front stock fitment better and it felt better.

Mine is a 45 thumbhole and the Optima was a 50cal black and stainless so the comparison is a bit off. If i was buying a 50cal CVA right now it would be a hard choice....excluding the Apex. :D

Back