WTB 54 cal short conical

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobuk

Reaction score
I am wanting to try some short 54 cal conicals in my Lyman great plains rifle. It has a 1:60 twist and I have heard that sometimes it will shoot the shorter bullets. It also looks like all of the manufactures quit making them for the 54. I can buy a mould but before I get all set up I am hoping that someone makes them and would sell me some to try out. I am wanting this for a moose hunt and even though a 54 prb might work, I would like to try something a little heavier. Thank you

I cast Lee REAL bullets for my 54 and 58 have had very good accuracy and are easy and fast to load

I cast Lee REAL bullets for my 54 and 58 have had very good accuracy and are easy and fast to load

Mark
First off, thank you for your help. That is what I am looking for. Do you know what twist your 54 is? I would love to have a 58 but just haven't came across one yet. What grain of REAL bulets do you use with your 54? Like I mentioned before, I was told that the slower twist will only work with the shorter lighter bullets. Lastly, if you think that your setup would work for me, would you be willing to sell me some of your bullets so that I could see if they would work? Or if you know anyone else who does? I would sure be more comfortable shooting a heavier projectile.

I think Hornaday makes the PA bullet in .54. You might want to check into it.
Thanks Grimord
It looks like all of the manucactures quit selling the shorter bullets. We can still buy the moulds though.

The .54 I own has a 1-66" twist. A friend gifted me a couple boxes of .54 maxi balls and maxi hunters. As an experiment I fired a prb group at 50 yards and it was tight. Then I loaded up and fired 5 maxi balls. The maxi balls were not in the same class as the prb, BUT, I could still cover the group with my hand.

Kobuk I checked my Lee mold they are 300 grain Real bullets .Send me a message with your address and I will see if I have any poured if not I can run a few and mail you some.

You could buy the barrel for the Great Plains Hunter. It has a 1-32 twist and if you get the .50 cal version you'll have a lot of choices for a long conical. The barrel will fit right on your gun.

You could buy the barrel for the Great Plains Hunter. It has a 1-32 twist and if you get the .50 cal version you'll have a lot of choices for a long conical. The barrel will fit right on your gun.

That is another option I have looked into. I looked at both the 50 and 54 in the hunter barrel. I want to try the 300 grain REAL first to see if it will work. It looks like they are pretty proud of those replacement barrels!

Yeah, they aren't cheap. Sometimes they will be on forum classified ads. Ebay too.

Someday I would love to have a .58 cal one. I know an Indian guy up here in Maine who makes gorgeous custom rifles (he made one for our former governor in I think .69 caliber, but it is like a $10,000.00 gun! I can't imagine what that would do to a big white tail!

did a quick search on gunbroker and found several options of .54 cal short conicals, real bullets, at least a option to try ! Buy Black Powder Bullets for sale online at GunBroker.com

Hey thank you! I didn't see that and I even looked around. That is a great option. I think I have another member on this forum that is going to sell me a handfull of bullets to try and if they work then the ones on gun broker might be the way to go. I did se that some of his are sized a little smaller and lubed to make it easier to start or something. What do you guys like to use to lube your bullets?

I use Lee bullet lube. Some use bees wax. Thete are many options. Try
Dixie, Old Cabin Shop, Midsouth Shooters, Deer Creek products.
Many options to choose from

Latest posts

Back