Wild Hog program

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
www.natgeotv.com or National Geographic Television has a pretty good show with Brady Barr hunting and explaining the wild hog problem in this country. Texas they claimed have the most hogs, and Florida is second.

They trapped them, and hand caught them, ran them with dogs, and used oral contraceptives on them. A relative in Texas of Brady Barr was explaining the problem they face, and showed these knee deep hog wallows. A real informative show.

They also went into the palmetto thickets after them. I don't blame Brady Barr for not wanting to go in there too much. How they can walk in there let alone see a hog coming after them is beyond me.

After seeing that, I think hunting them is crazy. It really seem like something I have to do. But I am not going to chase them around in thickets like they did.

I saw that one too. I was real surprised that they cast hunters in a good light. I never realized those wallows were so deep. It looks like a backhoe was in those fields.

They should try to make some money on hogs. If they opened a season and required a specific license to hunt them, maybe more people would get into it. And then there would be more money for conservation.

I don't hunt because I have to PAY for a Magilla, I hunt cause he's THERE. :shock:

hogs

why give any politician any idea on how to raise and spend more money? I would love ot hunt these suckers.

After watching this program, it seemed the land owners were more then willing to use about any method to get them off their property. I would think that if it was made clear to the public that responsible hunters would be allowed to trespass on the land and shoot all the hogs they wanted, they could knock down the population a lot. Although with the breeding cycle of hogs, that might be harder then say with whitetail deer.

Whether a hog season would encourage hunters, who's to day. Also even with a hog season, if the large land owners do not cooperate and allow hunters on their property, not only would it not solve the problem, but as the hunting pressure increased in public lands, it would tend to push more hogs onto the private parcels of land. We saw the same thing happen with deer in Wisconsin.

It really was an interesting show. And being from a State that currently does not have a hog problem, I really don't have a lot of opinion. Watching them in Florida walk into that palmetto grove after them.. that's just plain crazy. I would hate to think what I would rate on a pucker meter, were it me walking in there. Them things could have been everywhere in that stuff and you'd never of seen them. Even the brush country of Texas, those hogs just appeared and then disappeared.

But I am not going to chase them around in thickets like they did.

It the most fun a guy can have with his pants on. Bleeding to death in a plum thicket at age 95 after getting run over by a big boar would be a fine way to go. :D Went into a plum thicket last Saturday after a big boar hog but never got a shot at him. My buddy got him when I chased the hog out the other side of the thicket.

I do wear Kevlar chainsaw pants when going into thickets after wounded hogs.

Hog season in OK and TX is open year round. In OK, no one, resident or non-resident; needs a license to hunt hogs.

This wounded boar killed one German hunter and wounded another one.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20081010-14803.html

I've chased 'em through many a FLA palmetto thicket - it's like a hot pursuit scene on COPS. :D

And they can dang sure fight back, had 'em cut the dogs and tree the Outfitter on some chases. Never a dull moment.

FLA has no season on them either - open season year round on private property. One patch of State land does have a season, but who needs that when they are everywhere.

We have some in NY in a small area , as far as a season goes there isn't one , as far as the state goes , but the STATE has given all the hunters the go ahead -all that is needed is I believe a small game liscence . It would Take alot to incorporate Hogs into /or under our current liscencing program , only because they are not a native animal -they are Eroupean Boars so there we have it . All us NYers have to do with a liscence is use the proper firearm in the said season and after late muzzleloading in December till the beginning of the next fall season we can use ANY firearm that we choose right through the summer , they are open all year round . :D

Is this the same program that I saw 9-17 on The History Channel? It's titled .....THE PIG BOMB....How's that for a catchy title?

It will air again on The Discovery Channel 9-18 about noon EST.

I'm going to watch again!

mcrik

Back