Dead phone books

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
The setup until i had to add another wet book at the end and a thicker one in front of the particle board

BulletTrapSide.jpg

My old fave the Barnes Original .458 300 SS put on a good show again and was the ONLY one to go through all the books until i added another wet book.

Entrance even though it does not look like it.

BarnesOrginal300grSSEntrance.jpg

And a small idea of the potential wound channel. Larger center hole in the particle board in the Barnes 300 SS. The slightly smaller hole is the Speer GoldDot 50-300gr Hunting for 50A&E

BarnesOrginal300grSSWoundChannel2.jpg

The Hornady 475 325gr XTP had similar results and both bullets held onto over 250gr with a nice mushroom, even with just a 90gr charge.

Here is the Speer 45LC 250gr Defense bullet. It only held unto 120gr and poor penetration but the wound channel is HUGE. Its a smaller phone book BTW.

SpeerGoldDot45LC250.jpg

This was only 80gr of BH209. The mushroom is nice...like a pancake but its the Defense bullet not the GoldDot Hunting series. The hollow point is very deep for good performance at 45LC speeds.

Here is why i say the Spifire 285gr BTs must be driven hard. The one with only one petal pealed back is 90gr of BH209. The one with the beautiful classic Barnes mushroom was 110gr. Both nearly went through all the books.

SpitfireWith90grAnd110gr2.jpg

I forgot my MMP purples so i had to take the ones from my Barnes 54x50 bullets.

L2R---2 Rem385gr CLHPs (both held onto 350gr+)--Hornady 50cal 300gr FTX, Speer 50A&E 300gr GoldDot Hunting, Berry's 50cal 300gr HP retained about 130gr. :lol: And a Lehigh .451 255gr DOA at far right. It doesnt look like much but the wound channel was very nasty and pentration was outstanding. The lehigh was one of the 3 to reach the final dry book with the extra wet one.

54ullets.jpg

The Speer 300gr GoldDot did very well actually (236gr) and the Berry's failed terribly with less than half remaining. The Hornady 50cal 300gr FTX held unto 220gr with a nice mushroom and penetration.

I will post better bullet pics of the before and after later. Im in a bit of pain atm since i fired every shot off hand. :D :lol:

Excellent report GM54-120. But I fear you will soon be visited by the Society For Prevention Of Cruelty To Phone Books.

I was particularly interested in the 250 grain Gold Dot results. What I like about them is that you don't have to drive them hard. I shoot them out of my short barrelled Omega X-7 over 95 grains of GOEX, but haven't put one in a deer yet.

Semisane said:
Excellent report GM54-120. But I fear you will soon be visited by the Society For Prevention Of Cruelty To Phone Books.

I was particularly interested in the 250 grain Gold Dot results. What I like about them is that you don't have to drive them hard. I shoot them out of my short barrelled Omega X-7 over 95 grains of GOEX, but haven't put one in a deer yet.

Yep we worked up a youth load last time and even with low charges it WILL expand quite nicely. I pushed it to the limit this time without it totally fragmenting. On game i would expect a bit less and better weight retention with light loads.

IMO you would have a hard time finding a better reduced recoil option with this kind of expansion.

IMO you would have a hard time finding a better reduced recoil option with this kind of expansion.

I agree. As I've said, I haven't put a .250 GD into game. But my experience with the 300s on deer leads me to believe the 250s will hold together with a close range shot and still expand well at my maximum 175 yard hunting range. In the short barrel X-7 I can't get a 250 grain bullet going much over 1750 fps anyway.

very interesting report. And the video... talk about knocking the snot out of phone books.. how far away were you from them?

I have no doubt the GoldDots will hold together "enough" if loaded correctly. Using a low fps load im sure at 100yards it will be moving very close to a more acceptable speed and better weight retention.

I was shooting at about 15 yards into media that causes violent expansion on deep hollow points. I was basically trying to make bullets fail.

The GoldDot 50A&E 300gr beat the 50-300 FTX except on penetration. The FTX barely beat it but the GoldDot Hunter held on to more weight and had a better mushroom. These have a very shallow hollow point compared to the Defense series.

I forgot to show the Extreme based "twins".

The GMB54 really handles nice with the Extreme thumbhole stock and recoil seems a bit milder. Its probably all in my head. This will be my hunting stock for sure. I love how fast it handles and shoulders.

54and50cal.jpg

Cool report.
It's amazing the amout of damage caused by those bullets.
Thanks for sharing that.

Latest posts

Back