speedloader ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backstraps

Reaction score
Im new to loose powder and am giving BH209 a try... just curious whats the best way to set up speedloaders for hunting. Do you guys keep the bullet and powder in separate plastic vials.....i guess i just dont know if the bullet will push out the powder too fast if they were kept in the same container when trying to load?

Backstraps:
I would use separate plastic Vials for powder, and different container for your projectiles.

I shoot loose powder, the only exception is my speed loaders in the field. 2-50gr. T7. My loose powder hunting load, point of impact, is close enough to a 2 pellet charge load. I also use a crushed rib sabot, as this makes loading an un-swabbed barrel slightly easier. All my shots are 100 yds or less. This is just easier for me. I shoot 90-110gr. loose normally.

I have a few of each, speedloaders with a bullet & 35 mm film canisters with powder only. I have a seperat plastic baggie for discs/primers. I did take a deer double last year with a quiet reload but things are usually a 1 shot deal. All it takes is 2 or 3 reloads to be covered.

for hunting i like T/C 4 in 1 speed loaders,i also use lane's tubes

Speed loader

I measure my powder, then put it in a empty hull. Then i put cotton in it an a piece of tape over the end. I'am ready an it doesn't cost much!!!

Use what you are comfortable with. I use a quick loader made by T/C, it has the powder on one end and holds the sabot/bullet on the other.

Lanes Tubes. I find more uses for them other than putting powder,bullets, primers in. Great tubes to store small amounts of gun oil in and gun stock oil finish.

lanes

x2 on Lanes. Bullets and sabot in one, pre measeured powder load MARKED" w/ the load and a 35 cannister for other patch etc.

Re: Speed loader

bernieg said:
I measure my powder, then put it in a empty hull. Then i put cotton in it an a piece of tape over the end. I'am ready an it doesn't cost much!!!

Thats a great idea!!!! I've got quite a few 20ga hulls laying around so I'm gonna give this a shot this year. Thanks!

I've tried a bunch of ways to carry my extra powder. RMC sells some nice red plastic tubes which hold 150 grains and they can be cut down if you wanted to. American Pioneer sells powder in in tubes that are excellent for reuse. Northlannd fishing tackle company sells some nice plastic tubes which I use for my 32 & 36 cal tradional rifles. Those rifles normally never use more than 40 grains and I need small tubes. Northland also sells a larger tube that will hold 100 grains maybe more.
A neat trick is to weight up your powder and put in the tubes of your choice and then vacum pack it. This keeps the air and mosture out for longer shelf life. I put my bullets in some TC plastic bullet tubes that I picked up several years ago.

Latest posts

Back