Which Trail Camera to Buy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire100

Reaction score
Hi, any thoughts on which trail camera to buy? I currently own a Moultrie 4.0 mpxl. It takes 6 D batteries which dont last very long and the trigger speed is very slow. I typically get blank photo's or the rear of many deer. I was thikning a cuddeback Capture, but dont know anyone who has one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Trail Camera

Those are really great pics. I will take a look at the 5.0 tomorrow when I go to Cabelas. I got about 270 pics during the rut, but only about half where I can see the whole deer. My friend has the same camera and has the same problem. Maybe the 5.0 version has a faster trigger speed. Unfortunately, none of those deer on camera came by during shooting hours except 4.....

I have a ton of nice deep pics, but they are all between 7pm and 3 am. If I can figure out how to get the pics off the SD chip and on to the computer I'll post them up.

Hi guys, I am new here. Just getting into muzzleloading but I have hunted primarily bow for a few years now. Still waiting for my first deer.

I picked up some Scout Guard cameras this year and I could not be happier. They are very small and super efficient. I just replaced the batteries in them because I didn't want them going dead but they didn't really need it...and they've been out since June! Again, very small and easy to carry several of them around and they've taken a beating in the Ohio weather too.

Chris

Welcome! I've never heard of these cameras. How much are they and who sells them?

I have used the Moultrie i40 and i60 cams with no problems. Best bang for the buck I've seen. Battery life is great, and if you are legally able to put out something to make the animals stop, you'll have no problems with trigger speed. I've had some critters walk by and it usually catches them.

Well guys I mostly just look on and get a chuckle now and then, but I have used many kinds and brands . I do Armature Radio and have made a couple of game cameras my self. The hardest part is getting it into a weather proof case.
I have seen some comments here that I thought were made by people looking at or for a narrow range of things and missing some important things. If you will study the page I am posting not to buy from these people but to study the method that they use to test the speed range and field of view. The field of view of both the camera for the picture and the infrared sensor so that it has more time to get the picture before the animal gets to the center of the camera field is critical to getting a good picture of everything that passes in front of the camera trap.
http://www.trailcampro.com/index.aspx

Latest posts

Back