Why Grow Peaches and Apples?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Because my wife says try.

But we went to the Mennonites and bought Peaches for $48 for 60 pounds.

oneshot

That is the way to go if you plan on canning them for a delicious winter treat. Same with cherries.

Firestick said:
That is the way to go if you plan on canning them for a delicious winter treat. Same with cherries.
Agreed, it's easier to buy than have to tend, spray and gather the fruit anymore.

Hard to beat the convenience of getting fresh peaches and apples grown by full time farmers.  I'm fortunate to have several local farmers who offer customer picking if you so choose.  I usually just shop at their fruit stands. :)

I like the flowers. If I could only get them to grow; deer, grass hoppers...

Wonder if the elevation along the divide that varies between about 6,000 to 7,887 feet has anything to do with growing them ?

Wonder if the elevation along the divide that varies between about 6,000 to 7,887 feet has anything to do with growing them ?
We live at 7350'. I have a cherry tree that I planted 20 years ago, about a year ago it had 1 cherry and after 20 years it is 6' tall. One pear tree about the same height after 10 years and never a pear. About the only thing that grows well in this soil is "oak brush" and weeds!

We lived at 6,000' feet and had no issues with our plantings, but our cabin was at 7,430' and had the same issues as you have. 😐

I spent some time W of Trinidad years ago (Amoco gas exploration) and I know you have lottsa Pinion' also. We have a apple tree in our back yard the deer seem to enjoy and the crab apples bloom in the spring is beautiful around here @7,300'P9100017.JPGP9100021.JPGP9100023.JPG

We are at 7300'; puts us in the same growing zones as MN and MI UP. Soil is a mix of sand, clay and a little organic. So I dug a foot deep and 12' x 30'. Layed dead trees then layered horse manure and compost and soil and repeated. 30' long peak at about 4.5'. Squash and such do well. Columbines if I water enough. I'm aiming for more service berry bushes and fruit trees and ground cover flowers. I lack fertilizing knowledge. I do stop at a farmers market, bought 30 of the sweetest apples I remember. Best ground beef, tomatoes.
IMG_0464.jpegIMG_0465.jpeg

Last edited:
We live at 7350'. I have a cherry tree that I planted 20 years ago, about a year ago it had 1 cherry and after 20 years it is 6' tall. One pear tree about the same height after 10 years and never a pear. About the only thing that grows well in this soil is "oak brush" and weeds!

That Elevation amazes me, living at that Elevation is what i mean. It is 2200 ft here where i live (Northern Idaho) Even the mountain Tops Around here are Not that high, at least anywhere near me. 6000-6500 ft is a REALLY HIGH Mountain Top Around here. It’s amazing how much Difference there is from State to State

I find these remarks interesting for these guys living so close to the same elevation.

7,300 ft.
As mentioned by "elkeater" "I dug a foot deep and 12' x 30'. Layed dead trees then layered horse manure and compost and soil and repeated. 30' long peak at about 4.5'. Squash and such do well. Columbines if I water enough. I'm aiming for more service berry bushes and fruit trees and ground cover flowers. I lack fertilizing knowledge."
7,300 ft.
And Mossie says "We have a apple tree in our back yard the deer seem to enjoy and the crab apples bloom in the spring is beautiful around here @7,300'"
7,350 ft.
"muzzleloader48" says "We live at 7350'. I have a cherry tree that I planted 20 years ago, about a year ago it had 1 cherry and after 20 years it is 6' tall. One pear tree about the same height after 10 years and never a pear. About the only thing that grows well in this soil is "oak brush" and weeds!"

Another item to keep in the back of your mind when planning the next hunt - elevation - food sources for game......

Good interesting post guys, thanks

I would guess the fact we live in a fertile river valley where the N. Platte and the Encampment river wed has a lot to do with our success. Many lush gardens here as we have water valves in the alleys for each property that is untreated river water we use for $30.00 per year flat rate. Local ranchers with the orig water rights have made this possible through their generosity to the town. Hydrostatic pressure from a holding pond above town which also serves as kids fishing hole..Livin' the dream! Out Here

Not really Stan. It's just that it's been so cold that what we do have won't melt. Nothing like what we got last year but we still have plenty of time left to get more.

How about you?

Latest posts

Back