More newbie Q's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking421a

Reaction score
I am trying to get a list together of everything I need to buy to get started and have a few questions.................

What is a nipple pick, and do I need one with an omega?

Capper/decapper?

Loading jag/cleaning jag?

Will I need these things for loading or cleaning an Omega?

Thanks for all the help I have had, this site is great! :D

A nipple pick is a piece of wire, and your Omega has no nipple so-- no.

T/C has the best manuals in the industry, the latest Omega manual is free for the phone call.

See the T/C website for a look at their accessories.

You get a ramrod and a jag with your Omega.

No, you really don't need a capper / decapper since you are not using percussion caps.

viking421a said:
I am trying to get a list together of everything I need to buy to get started and have a few questions.................

What is a nipple pick, and do I need one with an omega?

Capper/decapper?

Loading jag/cleaning jag?

Will I need these things for loading or cleaning an Omega?

Thanks for all the help I have had, this site is great! :D

Nope, no nipple pick needed for an Omega. As far as cleaning Jags, I like the short one T/C makes. I bend them every so often so I like to keep a few in reserve. With the Omega a capper/decapper is helpful but not required. T/C sends a plastic one with the Omega in any case (did with mine anyway).

The list of things I would get for a new Omega are:
1. XS Sights Powerrod. http://www.xssights.com/catblack.html Be sure to measure your ramrod for correct size.

2. Warne Base for scope mounting (where legal)

3. Warne Quick Release rings (where legal)

4. Barnes Spitfires in 245 gr. (mine loves em)

5. Patches (the patches in the camo bag at Walmart do pretty well)

6. Solvent - Butches Blackpowder bore shine gets my pick although CVA's solvent does well.

7. Short starter - I like T'Cs t-handled short starter. I also own a CVA hollowpoint bullet starter (powerbelt starter is similar). The tips with the CVA are helpful if you shoot different bullets. Not needed for Barnes Spitfires.

8. Vials with a 12 gauge shotgun shell box if you use loose powder. - For keeping premeasured powder charges ready to go. Randy sells vials so contact him. I think his will fit a 12 ga. box. The boxes usually hold 25.

I think that's it. Might be more hit me later but that's off the top of my head.

Get a cheap toolbox to carry all your gear in.

Yep! And might as well get a big one while you are at it! Mine grows and GROWS!

ALSO...Get a Knight .50cal range rod. Keep it set up for spit-patching and use your ramrod for bullet seating.

Good point. I forgot about that. I have one for every muzzleloader and one with general items I use for all the muzzleloaders.

Latest posts

Back