Bullet for a blackie...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
Unless for some reason the deal falls through, I'll be heading up to the NC coast for a bear hunt this fall... It's one of those deals that's almost too good to be true, but we'll see. Anyway, that's got me thinking about bullets, and I know the logical choice is a 300 grain Nosler or Barnes. But what about my .45? Do you guys not think the 195 Barnes would get the job done at say 150 yards or less loaded with 120 grains of BH?

Because of the warmth in the Carolina's out bear don't hibernate so in turn they can get some size on them, but most are in the 200 to 300lb range. I'm sure if everything go's right I'll have a .50 Ultimate Slam loaded with one of the bullets mentioned above, but I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss... so what do you guys think?

I would stick to the 300 gr. Noslers or barnes. The last thing you want to do is track a wounded bear. Good luck with your hunt.

use a conical the bigger the better i have some 680grs i use in my 45 tips em over real good :wink:

What powder are you shooting? If it were me, I would shoot 275 BE's sabotless from your .45 ... They are undersized soooo you can run them between 2 files and make them a bit larger to engage the rifling. Or a snazzy conical will do the job.

I am sure a 195 will kill it but I would sure look for something more.

I have taken two with a muzzle loader, and they are a fairly stout animal, I would use at least a 250 or a 260gr and would probably use the 300gr Gold Dot as it did a nice job before, although a 260 gr Nosler Partition Would most likely do fine with a load that pushes it over 2000 fps. Lee

have shot bears but never with a ML ..bears are the only animals that i will shoot in the shoulder ,i have seen bears shot through the heart and take off like a steamroller ..a good solid copper bullet will get the job done if the hunter does his part ...300 gr. bullet is more than enough .powder of ur choice .good luck and have fun ...

I've hunted bear in Michigan, Ontario and Alberta and one thing I can say is that they die just as easy as a deer with a well placed shot but they don't run nearly as far.

Any well constructed bullet with proper placement will get the job done. Just remember shot placement is critical for easy recovery. Here's a link

http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/dun ... cement.pdf

The first thing we need to know is how fast can your hunting partner run? :p

I've never shot a bear. However if I do I hope to be pointing a tough heavy bullet at one. If you waited for a really good angle, where you knew you would hit where you aimed, I'm sure the 195 grain Barnes would get the job done. But why risk it? If I was going with you, I would be using a 285 or 290 Barnes, Nosler Partion, Barnes Original, 300 grain Bonded Shockwave, actually many of the 300 grain offerings ahead of BH209 should work quite nicely

I know EXACTLY what I'd use....I'd use a 275gr Powerbelt Aerotip...no doubt about it or MAYBE a 240gr Dead Center...I'd use 90-110 Triple Se7en or Pyrodex too...coastal Carolina is DAMP and HUMID and I wouldn't want to risk any kind of ignition issues....

WAY back in 2003..I bought a .45 Disc Elite... I shot about everything available with Triple Se7en. The 240gr Dead Center shot great from 100gr to 120gr ffg Triple Se7en.. I shot several groups less than 1.5 inches at 100yds...110gr ffg averaged 1833fps and 120gr ffg averaged 1884fps...for bear I'd probably stay in the 100gr to 110gr ffg range since penetration is paramont.... The 275gr Powerbelt shot great with 100gr ffg Triple Se7en...velocity for that load was ave 1724fps....I'd probably go with 90-100gr ffg...

I wouldn't give it a second thought to use either bullet...just don't try to push 'em too hard...

But what about my .45? Do you guys not think the 195 Barnes would get the job done at say 150 yards or less loaded with 120 grains of BH?

Yes the Barnes would work, I might go with 130g BH209 :)

But I'd rather go with the 300g Platinum PowerBelt, pushed by 80-100g of BH209 :wink:
This is also a tack driver, like the 275g PB that Chuck mentioned. Just a little tougher package that will push thru a bit better IMO 8)

I've never shot a bear with a muzzle loader, but after shooting a 400# blackie last fall with a 450 marlin (4 times!), my recommendation would be to shoot as heavy of bullet as you possibly can. Accuracy probably won't mean much as it will more than likely be a short range affair.

Penetration and the ability to break bone and keep on penetrating will be of key importaince.

The guy told my Uncle-inlaw that he had a corn field that you couldn't walk in with out stepping on a bear track. I have no idea how big of a field it is. I really hope I have one of the new Knight's for this trip, but that money may have to go help finance everything,,, in that case I'll be left with the .45 Elite.

I have two packs of the 240 grain Extreme Elite HP and I think Cecil makes a 260,,, so I may give these a try at the range. Thanks guys!

If you have never hunted bear before then be sure to check out the difference in the location of the heart and lungs. I will post some pics on hunting net maybe we can get Mike or chuck to transfer them here since I can not post pics direct here. Lee

Lee 9 said:
If you have never hunted bear before then be sure to check out the difference in the location of the heart and lungs.

Very good point. Bears vitals are more forward than a deers.

Hey Flint Head, Could you have a buddy along to film you reloading after you "whack" that bear with the first shot? :):):)

Though I have no doubt the Barnes or Nosler would be a great choice. My load for bear (TN and VA) is a 460g Bullshop in front of 80g 777 2f.

I will note though that I have not taken a bear with this load-however, I have absolutly no doubt that it will do the job after seeing their effects on elk.

I have two packs of the 240 grain Extreme Elite HP and I think Cecil makes a 260,,, so I may give these a try at the range. Thanks guys!

I'm thinking you would have a HARD time getting a 260gr .40cal bullet to shoot accurately in your 1:30 twist Disc Elite...1:28 would MAYBE work and 1:24 DEFINITELY would be okay... Also...you can TRY the 240gr Extreme Elites but I'd actually HUNT with a 240gr Dead Center...DC SHOULD penetrate better...

I still like the 240gr DC and the 275gr Powerbelt and 300gr Powerbelt Lane mentioned(but BOY are they EXPENSIVE!)

Bears get a lot bigger than just 300 lbs. in NC...I think the record is 880 lbs.
I'd skip the .45 and shoot a .50 and use the Barnes that shoots the best in that rifle. I like the Spitfire MZ and the Expander MZ but I'm sure the TMZ would work fine, too. Confidence is the name of the game when muzzleloading bears.

I appreciate your knowledge Chuck... I'll see what I can come up with. Just got off the phone with the outfitter to make sure what the details were... it is going to be a little more $ then I was told ($150 a day plus a $1500 trophy fee if you kill) on a four day hunt. The hunt won't be until the second week of Nov. so I have a little time to save. The guy said he only takes three people a year (he's really a sea duck outfitter but has the corn field that the bears are coming to). He said the shot's would be 80 to 100 yards and of the three people he take one will usually take a bear in the 300lb range. So I guess we'll see... that's still really a good price for a close to home bear hunt, but convincing momma of that may be hard... :)

CarlV said:
Lee 9 said:
If you have never hunted bear before then be sure to check out the difference in the location of the heart and lungs.

Very good point. Bears vitals are more forward than a deers.

Hey Flint Head, Could you have a buddy along to film you reloading after you "whack" that bear with the first shot? :):):)

Just pick a friend that runs slower.

Dave

Latest posts

Back