45 cal / 200 grn Shockwave / Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
I had to go to an oral surgeon today so I couldn't hunt,That didn't keep me from the range though.
I shot the 45 cal Kodiak / 200 grn Shockwave (spire Point with cream sabot) over 90 grn BH-209 / Federal 209-A primer

I got everything ready to shoot.Here is the set up and stats for the day.

Mostly Cloudy
59 deg F
60% humidity
Wind: N.E. 15 - 20 mph
Gusts: 23 mph

ReadytofireDecembersixteen.jpg

This is my Muzzleloading box (I know,SWEET)

BPTackleBox.jpg

I shot about ten times yesterday with BH-209 and CCI-M primer with no swabbing.Today I fired five other shots .I pulled the breach plug to look at the fouling.
It was pretty dirty but fired everytime.

BHBPFouling.jpg

The red on the threads is the BP grease i am using.

BPBHFouling.jpg

I cleaned the gun and put in a brand new BP (I bought a lot of 6 from ebay)
It took very little to get the gun clean.
Here is a line up of the patches in order of use.

BHcleanuppatches.jpg

After my session yesterday I was 1 1/2" - 2" low @ 50 yards.I decided to adjust for 3" high @ 50 before shooting the Shockwaves.

Target #1

shockwaveRRtargetone.jpg

Wait a second,was that ME shooting? Those are 1" squares.I am getting better.

Target # 2

My group opened up a little but still OK.Diff target but still 3" high

shockwaveRRtargettwo.jpg

Target # 3

I decided to go 1" high @ 50 so I adjusted.
shot #1 put me closer but not there so I adjusted again.

shockwaveRRtargetthree.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with MY shooting and I LOVE the 45 cal.
I have alot of bad habits to overcome and I am putting in the work.
my groups open up as I get tired.

I have been shooting CCI-M 209 primers after a hangfire with W-209's

Today while using the Ferderal-209-A I had two pretty bad/long hang fires so they have me nurvous.The first was on shot#2 and then #5.I also had trouble with them sticking in the BP.
I am going back to the CCI-M and will move back to 100 yards next time and break out the shooting bench.
Meanwhile I have cleaned my gun and BP and reloaded for an AM hunt.

I like the way these 200 grn Shockwaves shoot,even for me they group well with 90 grn BH-209

great shooting sax! And my god! You got everything in that box other than the bathrom sink! LOL

Those primers in there, the black and silver, which are those? They have the bright orange primer holder sitting on top.

frontier gander said:
great shooting sax! And my god! You got everything in that box other than the bathrom sink! LOL

Those primers in there, the black and silver, which are those? They have the bright orange primer holder sitting on top.

Those are the new Federal Fusion ML primers.
Havent used them yet.

the primer paper on the inside of the primer. Is it a very light blue, almost white color? Those fusions look exactly like my cci inline mzl primers. At least color wise haha

frontier gander said:
the primer paper on the inside of the primer. Is it a very light blue, almost white color? Those fusions look exactly like my cci inline mzl primers. At least color wise haha

Yes it is that color.
I don't believe they are recomended for BH 209 though.

looks like cci/federal must use the same primers then. Thanks sax! i saw them and that just caught my attention.

Sax

You are having way to much fun.... love your tool box organization, but the shoot bench and seat look way to comfortable....

sabotloader said:
Sax

You are having way to much fun.... love your tool box organization, but the shoot bench and seat look way to comfortable....

You are right,today I did have fun.I am seeing slight improvement in my shooting and that feels great.
I have a long way to go but I will get there.

That bench saves my hide.
I have a very nice portable shooting bench,it is not a portable as I would like and I'm afraid if I leave it out there someone will steal it.

I'm sure glad you posted your muzzleloading box Sax, because i have my stuff in two seperate ammo cans and your set-up is much better. Just goes to show you,never to old to learn a new trick.

sax

good shooting. Been way to cold and windy to play like that around here. I ahve passed so many of those fish boxes at yard sales..I use the water tight but as I see I am not the only one that has accumulated stuff for ML'ing. I like those tray's and making oit easy to see and use the tools.

Saxman: You make the rest of us look bad :lol:

Just kidding, wish I was more organized and good job shooting !!!

I have this same gun and it shoots really well, but I wouldnt suggest hunting with those bullets I've shot 3 deer with them and pretty poor performance so just beware I got the deer but I had zero blood trail and no pass through and found just the bare copper jackets inside the deer.

My crew including myself have killed a truckload of deer with the 200 gr. .40 shockwave.

Even at 202 yards the bullet makes a 1 1/2 inch diameter exit hole.

Now go kill sh*t.

chocdog

choc-dog said:
My crew including myself have killed a truckload of deer with the 200 gr. .40 shockwave.

Now go kill sh*t.

chocdog

Totally agree!!

I did recomend the DeadCenters to Sax, only because they were all lead, and he said that he could take a 160 yard shot. I know the DC's would expand and they were all most as accurate as the 200g SW's :wink: Plus the Florida deer don't get too big :p :wink:

My hunting group has taken over 14 deer with the 200g SW's with no losses, and 90% DRT, from 30-190yards. Shooting 90-130g of BH209 :D 8) They are SO accurate, it's a cinch to take neck shots out to 70yards or more :yeah:

lane said:
choc-dog said:

Now go kill sh*t.

chocdog

Totally agree!!

I did recomend the DeadCenters to Sax, only because they were all lead, and he said that he could take a 160 yard shot. I know the DC's would expand and they were all most as accurate as the 200g SW's :wink: Plus the Florida deer don't get too big :p :wink:

My hunting group has taken over 14 deer with the 200g SW's with no losses, and 90% DRT, from 30-190yards. Shooting 90-130g of BH209 :D 8) They are SO accurate, it's a cinch to take neck shots out to 70yards or more :yeah:

Lane
I was looking through the box you sent and saw the SW's,thought I would try them.
I will go back and check to make sure there was no hit.

Do you think I should go back to the DC?
What about those Barrys bulletts? did you say to use a smooth blue sabot?

After the wife gets going I will go back to the range and shoot some more.

just letting you know my experience with the same gun and bullets... the buck shot was at 35 yards and no pass through, the other two at 55 yards. I run a deer processing business, over the past few years I've told hunters I wouldn't recommend hunting with these bullets for that very reason. I've switched to barnes and there still really accurate and I dont worry about not finding the deer. Unless there has been a redesign in the bullets I would not hunt with them. Good luck either way

Back