First BH209 Experience

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonelkhunter

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and to muzzleloading (but "old" to reloading). I have just purchased a T/C Encore 209x50 for a NM Elk Hunt. I have begun working up loads using Blackhorn 209 powder after all the good things I have read about this product.

Here are 2 things I observed today at the range:
1. After cleaning the barrel, the first (fouling) shot was 2" higher at 100 yards than the next 3 shots ( this happen consistantly each series)

and

2. After about 4 rounds (no cleaning) the Shockwave sabots were very hard to load.

From what I had read about BH209, the first observation was not unexpected. It seems best to hunt with a fouled barrel (similar to most centerfire rifles). So, no problem there.

However, I was surprised to have problems getting the Shockwaves to load after 4-5 rounds. Most of the information I read about BH209 indicated no extra resistance loading after multiple shots. I am planning to try Barnes T-EZ sabots next. They may be a little easier to load in a fouled barrel.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks, OEH.

I had a similar problem with Black Mag 3 - it was 'suppose' to not leave crud ring, but it certainly did.. In the barrel there was just a light ash looking substance (no fouling)..

Im assuming a crud ring is what is causing your hard to load problems.. You may need to try a different 209 primer to see if that helps

Brian

I fire a couple primers before i am ready to shot, but my first shot with my CVA Wolf is usually low right just like you are saying. With my Dad's CVA Optima it doesn't matter as well as with my Disc Extreme they are the same point of impact first shot to last if I do things right. It is just something I keep in my mind, when I am hunting I actually fire one shot before to get myself back to my sight in point. I too have noticed differences in loading pressure, not that is is always consistent at a certain number of shots but I do notice a difference, it never seems to effect accuracy for me so I don't worry about it.
Doug

Some of the information I have read recently state that Thompson's have tighter barrels than other makes and recommend the Barnes T-EZ as a good choice due to this reason (and that they are excellent bullets.) Can anyone confirm this? Thanks, OEH

oregonelkhunter,

It is true that T/C's, in general, have a slightly tighter bore than other muzzleloaders. There are a couple of areas, IMO, to look at for consistent loading pressure with BH 209.

1. Primer: I have found BH 209 to ignite rather easilt in my T/C, with no need to use some of the "hotter" primers, which I believe leads to additional fouling. Try Remington STS primers, if you haven't, and see how they work for you.

2. Sabots: Sabot thickness is another area you may need to look at. Do a search on this site, somebody posted sabot thickness measurements.

As far as the T-EZ, they are weasier to load due to the flat base, previous offering were boat-tails. Hope this helped somewhat.

wbygunner

TC

oregonelkhunter, use crush ribs saboits for the TC. I have shot the Pro Hunter 30 times and never had a real hard time pushing a sabot down the barrel. If it does get a little crusty, use a light Hppes patch then a dry patch to loosen it up. Hunting I always fire a couple primers prior to heading out. I always clean my guns after shooting or hunting.

yep my first shot was higher than the rest, I'll be hunting with a fouled barrel this fall.

As for your hard time getting the sabot down the barrel I dont know what to say. On my T/c Triumph I shot 30 shots a couple of weeks ago with out swabbing between any shots and there was really no noticible change in the force needed to get the sabot down the barrel. I was shooting 250gr SST's in a Harvester short sabot.

110gr of BH209 with that combo in my gun was shooting just under 1.5 inch at 100yards. This group was the last 5 shots out of the barrel, so it was at its dirtiest.

J-

Thanks for the advise.

I have been using CCI Magnum 209 primers. Doug at Western Powders recommended them for BH209. MidSouth had them in stock, so I jumped on it.

The breech plug does need significant cleaning after a day at the range, but I have not noticed any change in performance on the target.

Thanks, again. OEH

:D :D :D
Couldn't seat the second powerbelt so I switched from PYRODEX 50 GR PELLETS and REMINGTON STS PRIMERS to American Pioneer Powder GOLD along with Remington Kleanbore Primers and I have no problem any more. I shoot 3 rounds then I start to wet swab after each shot. Never took my breech plug out until the 10th shot. Cleaning wasn't a problem either. NO MORE BURN/CRUD RING :!: :!: :!: I enjoy shooting more now with allot less aggravation :!: :!: :!: :!: Accuracy wasn't effected at all. At 50 yards 9 shot in a 3"circle and the 10th was at 7 o'clock 1.5" from 3'' inner circle. That was the first shot. Barrel wasn't ready yet. (I should have popped a few primers. You learn something everyday I guess) :!: :!:
Have a great up coming season :!: :!: :!:

Latest posts

Back