Where to get scrimshaw from hunting horn to powder horn.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wganz

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got a hunting horn that has been in the family for multiple generations. Somewhere along the line, there were leaves, a deer, and a map scrimshawed into it. Most are fading and will try to get better pix later this week. I have a powder horn that was made by a friend in the early 1980's that has since gone on waiting for me at the big rendezvous on the other side of the River Jordan. The powder horn that Jim made for me is plain without scrimshaw (and I know what you're thinking, NO! I'm the only kid that made an F in art in the 5th grade. Ain't happening. Not messing with or up the horn that Jim made for me)

Who can I contact that could do a reasonable facsimile of this line art? Fully understand that the horns are different thickness, curvature, color, tone, and a host of other variables. What I'm looking for is to be able to say that is based on what was there.IMG_1919.jpgIMG_1916.jpg

wganz, I do scrimshaw, see below. But I burned out for this year, however, you can do this.
with the pictures you have, send them to your printer, (B&W) then, using a lead pencil, start sketching/drawing the designs. Using the lead pencil lets you make corrections and/or move whole scene to reflect best use of powder horn space. Now with your tool, start making the lines, I suggest only doing some at a time as you will smudge the pencil lines on what you haven't done yet. I used to use India ink to rub into the cuts. sometime soot, now use fine line pen, when done, lightly steel wool (finest you can find) over the work. week or dim spots can now be deepened or darkened. Then seal with a fixative of some sort I sometimes use spray spar varnish. On a horn you have some thickness to play with in case you don't like it and sand it off, on Turkey wing bones and some ivory, I can't make many bo bo's as run out of media! Also, you can find some smoothe white flat plastic and practice till you get familiar with using the tool. I have started a number of folks like this. My tool(s) were made from old dental tools ground to a point and then tape wrapped to pencil size above, for holding, also used old Victrola needles epoxied in a ball point pen. It needs to be kept sharp. If you need to make long straight lines, sharpen one end to a flat blade and drag it along the sketched line(s) Give it a try, fine sandpaper and steel wool are cheap.........and you may make a new hobby. I started over 50 years ago and have made a few bucks along the way.
Photo on 11-9-21 at 5.27 PM #2.jpg

Got some 3" PVC pipe left over from a HAM radio antenna that would ideal since its already paid for and it's curved. Gonna give it a go.

You can also try carbon paper to trace your design on the horn. Tape carbon paper to back of the sketch, wrap it on the horn and trace over sketch. I don't use this method, but some do to good effect.

There is a place right up the road from me that has 'powder horn kits'. Crazy Crow Trading Post in Pottsboro, TX and its not too far from where I got my RN degree. Shouldn't be that bad of a day trip to go see.

with the light, you may be able to use tracing paper to copy exactly the image you want to transfer. I have also darkened up an old scrimshaw piece for someone, and used soot to rub in the lines. It was an old piece that had no provenance to speak of, and I generally don't like to do that to an original, but it came out quite well. Also, it appears you may have been attacked by carpet beetles at one time. Whole collections of powder horns and such have been ruined by them. I keep most of my "special" works in ziplock bags now. Couple of my "user" ones had holes/gouges in them by the beetles, but sanded a horn about same color and mixed the powder/dust with epoxy and gently filled and sanded/steel wooled over, and spots look almost natural now. This sanded horn dust method works well with repairing antler also. One of the "Elmers" glues with a ivory/yellow cast can work also. Just ideas. "Only the stones last forever"

Latest posts

Back