Sabots with XTP and GD for the omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
My son will be using this conversion in his Omega with 300 grain .452 XTP and .452 300 grain Gold dots and 777 . Any idea what sabot we should try . i have bags of the #6751 black high velocity sabots i got from Hornady . They work great in my Encore . Are they too tight for the Omega ?

UtahRob said:
My son will be using this conversion in his Omega with 300 grain .452 XTP and .452 300 grain Gold dots and 777 . Any idea what sabot we should try . i have bags of the #6751 black high velocity sabots i got from Hornady . They work great in my Encore . Are they too tight for the Omega ?

If the #6751 Hornady sabots have stair stepped base in them they probably are HPH-24 sabots made by MMP. If they have a smooth cup then they probably are from old stock which probably would be the old contract from Harvester.

My Omega, which is an older first generation Omega, uses the HPH-24 or regular Harvester - I prefer the MMP, If the Omega you have is a newer tighter variety of bore than you might need the HPH-3p-Ez load or the Harvester Crush Rib.

Pull the breech plug out of the Omega and push one of the sabots and bullets you have through the bore and out the breech - see what you think....

Hope this helps...

sabotloader said:
UtahRob said:

If the #6751 Hornady sabots have stair stepped base in them they probably are HPH-24 sabots made by MMP. If they have a smooth cup then they probably are from old stock which probably would be the old contract from Harvester.

My Omega, which is an older first generation Omega, uses the HPH-24 or regular Harvester - I prefer the MMP, If the Omega you have is a newer tighter variety of bore than you might need the HPH-3p-Ez load or the Harvester Crush Rib.

Pull the breech plug out of the Omega and push one of the sabots and bullets you have through the bore and out the breech - see what you think....

Hope this helps...

the sabots i have do have the steps in them . good idea about pushing a bullet/sabot down empty . I just tried and the first try went down very snug (with oil still in the barrel ) the next time i had to put just about 1/2 my weight on the RR . too tight . I then tried some H.Crush ribbed sabot , felt about right . are they any good ? They were too loose for my encore . This Omega is almost 5 years old but only shot around 6 times . I bought it in Dec 2005 for my oldest son but he does not like muzzle loaders so i gave him 100 .00 bucks for it and gave it to my youngest son just before he left on his mission two years ago and he with be back in 19 days . :) :)

For the 300gr bullets you might want to try the Harvester long sabots (H5045 LB) to see if you can load them. While they were definitely tighter in my Omega (X7), I found that I got better groupings.

the sabots i have do have the steps in them . good idea about pushing a bullet/sabot down empty . I just tried and the first try went down very snug (with oil still in the barrel ) the next time i had to put just about 1/2 my weight on the RR . too tight . I then tried some H.Crush ribbed sabot , felt about right . are they any good ?

A lot of folks like the CR and if loads right - use it..

They were too loose for my encore . This Omega is almost 5 years old but only shot around 6 times . I bought it in Dec 2005 for my oldest son but he does not like muzzle loaders so i gave him 100 .00 bucks for it and gave it to my youngest son just before he left on his mission two years ago and he with be back in 19 days . :) :)

Shoot! I would have given him a $125 for it... But, actually that is the older Omega I am talking about... I really think if you ran some JB's through it or shot it more - the 24's will be the best.

sabotloader said:
the sabots i have do have the steps in them . good idea about pushing a bullet/sabot down empty . I just tried and the first try went down very snug (with oil still in the barrel ) the next time i had to put just about 1/2 my weight on the RR . too tight . I then tried some H.Crush ribbed sabot , felt about right . are they any good ?

A lot of folks like the CR and if loads right - use it..

They were too loose for my encore . This Omega is almost 5 years old but only shot around 6 times . I bought it in Dec 2005 for my oldest son but he does not like muzzle loaders so i gave him 100 .00 bucks for it and gave it to my youngest son just before he left on his mission two years ago and he with be back in 19 days . :) :)

Shoot! I would have given him a $125 for it... But, actually that is the older Omega I am talking about... I really think if you ran some JB's through it or shot it more - the 24's will be the best.

I only paid 109.00 for it at Wal Mart when i got it for my oldest son , so 109 plus 100 still is a good deal . My youngest son is a hunting and fly fishing fool . Boy have i missed him !!!!!!!!!!!

Back