Which rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
Looking for my first traditional percussion rifle. Ive been looking at the Lyman Great Plains rifle at Cabelas for $399.00. Cabelas Sporterized Hawken for $349.00. And Traditions Springfield Hawken for $299.00. I like the looks of the Traditions the best. Can anyone suggest a good percussion for a beginner traditional shooter in this price range?

This depends on what you want to shoot. If you want to shoot roundball, then the Great Plains Rifle with the 1-60 twist is the best rifle for you. Get it in a .54 caliber if you want to shoot roundball.

If you want to shoot conical, then the Cabela's Hawkins with the 1-48 twist is the best bet. The rifle is made to shoot conical, sabot rounds and round ball. The twist in the rifle is a do all kind of twist. It is made by Investarms the people that make Lyman. Actually it is a Lyman Trade Rifle with some fancy brass. I have a Trade Rifle in .54 caliber and it is a great roundball shooter, powerbelts, and even sabots.

The Traditions Springfield Hawkins is a nice rifle. I have seen them. It is able to do about the same as the Cabela's Hawkins.

Of the three mentioned, if you really want to go traditional and shoot roundball, it is hard to beat a GPR, if you might want to shoot conical then go with the Cabela's Hawkins. IMO.

Being new to ML myself, I like the 1:48. I dont really know about the others. All I shoot is roundball and I am really accurate at 100yds. Accurate enough to take out a clay pigeon. I shoot the T/C Renegade in .54

I'd get the Lyman GPR. It's authentic/better looking and very very accurate. Extra barrels are $117.00 at Midsouth Shooter's Supply.

Another vote for the GPR. I have one in 50 and one in 54. Great roundball rifle, and as mentioned, extra barrels are available and reasonable.

Latest posts

Back