JSG 3F

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I had a chance a few days ago to get to a Gander Mountain. I was looking for some APP 3f for my revolver. Well they did not have any but they did have some Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder for $24.99 a bottle. So I grabbed two of them and 200 .451 ball and a lot of other things I really did not need.

Frontier Gander had a number of posts about his experience with JSG. I had never shot the stuff. I will say it went off just fine, lots of nice smoke, and accuracy was a little off from the other powders. But that could be a difference in the grains used, the new ball, lots of things.

Today I loaded up my new flask with the JSG 3f and hauled my Pietta .44 caliber revolver outside. It was a beautiful day. I set the target out at 25 yards and loaded up.

4-23-10woodsmanrevolver001.jpg

I was not shooting off a bench rest but instead just leaning my arm over a single sand bag. I noticed it was shooting high and left.

4-23-10woodsmanrevolver012.jpg

One thing I noticed shooting the JSG 3f. One shot would be a loud solid BOOM! and some times not so solid of a BOOM!. I also got some floaters. But that could again be attributed to me, the new ball, or the powder. I was out of cylinder wads, so I was coating the cylinders with a lube I made (and was named on the forum from members help) as Baby's butter. It is a consistency of soft peanut butter but looks like diaper mess. But it did stop all hang fires. I will have to punch out some more wads for the revolver in the near future.

JSG was easy to clean up. I liked that aspect of it.

I then decided to grab a rifle. So I picked a Tradition's Woodsman .50 caliber with a 1-66 twist. Some cast roundball in .490, pillow tick and I had the baby's butter lube to use.

I started with 90 grains of JSG 3f. Whether it was the powder or the lube, at 30 yards the shots were all over the place on the new target. I then lowered the charge to 70 grains, and while it improved, it was not the best. So I challenged the lube.

Not having any lube outside except the baby's butter.... I decided to use spit as my patch lube.

4-23-10woodsmanrevolver020.jpg

The rifle started out real good, loading up the very small bulls eye. I was not swabbing at all. It finally started to spread the shot a little, but overall with 70 grains and a spit patch it did pretty good.

I am not real worried about the powder. I bought it for shooting off my revolver and that is what I will do with it. Just need to play more with it.

Well it has Jim Shockey's name on it for one thing. I guess it is very non corrosive, if there is such a powder out there. And you do not swab as I shot the revolver 42 times and never swabbed the thing. Also clean up is real easy. It is made by American Pioneer Powder Co.

Back