home made cleaner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray wolf

Reaction score
Yes I am a Little new to in line shooting but have been shooting 40 years.
last was a Ruger b/p old Army adjustable sights. Cheese 20 years ago.
I remember the load it was 16 gr. fff BP toped off with corn meal. then a ball and Crisco. Man that gun shot as good as my 45 at 25 yards. Any way learned back then that Murphy's oil soap, drugstore peroxide and alcohol. mixed equal parts would clean my pistol better than any commercial cleaner. Well I tried the same thing yesterday on my new inline and three patches latter I was done. Then 4-5 dry patches then lube of your choice. Checked the barrel every three hours about three times with a clean patch looking for any brown which might say RUST. There was none this morning checked again. Bright and clean. lubed once more and put it away. While I was cleaning I had the breach plug in a film canister soaking in the same solution. cleaned it of with a tooth brush and a 30 cal. nylon brush got the inside two Min. and it was bran new looking. naturally I bow to the experts but I think it worked great. Feed back please. Next I have to check out Balistol do a search it looks very good for a patch lube cleaner and preservative rust preventive. My bullet lube is Sheep tallow Dixie gun works bees wax and a little para fin I have the whole formula on hand. Works great for a felt wad lube also. which I use under my conicals. No I am not a know it all just trying to be helpful.
Thanks guy's

Gray Wolf

I've heard it referrred to as NMLRA racing oil. I use it to wipe between shots at the range. Make sure you keep it in an opaque container. Light will afffect the peroxide.

yes I know Dk. brown and I make it up in 4- Oz. lots so it wont go stale. It's so easy and cheep. It's just not a big deal.

Back