100 yards with BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I have a total of 16 shots now through the Accura with BH209 and ZERO mis/Hangfires.

First 100 yard target was with the 338gr platinums with 100gr BH209, CCI 209M primers. The shots on the far left were shots 2 and 5. I most likely punched the trigger on those shots. But Shots 1-3-4 are in ONE hole :shock:
000_0738.jpg

Next up is 120gr BH209, cci 209m and the 245gr Aerotip Powerbelts.

First 3 shots are the big hole. The next lower 2 shots were me adjusting the scope to zero it on. I still need to bring it down about 2 more clicks.
000_0740.jpg

With 120gr BH209 i had no trouble at all with the primers. They did not pop out of the cups. I did get a little more primer fouling though but thats easy to wipe off.

I wont clean the rifle or touch the breech plug flash channel until i get a hangfire, By then i can add up the # of shots I took before i had any trouble. I am keeping the numbers in a memo booklet.

What im loving the most is the recoil. Pretty much feels like i am shooting 70gr Pyrodex charges with these bullets! 120gr with the 245 didnt even push my shooting rest back. Im loving it!

After shooting, I do run a couple paper towel patches to mop up any excess moisture in the barrel.

Having so much fun with this powder that i am going to load up a few more rounds but try the 270gr platinums this time out!

well with the 270gr platinums i only got about a 2" group with 90gr BH209.

19 shots now without touching anything on the rifle.

i originally said i'd hold off cleaning until the fire hang fired. Couldn't do it! I wanted to see how easy the stuff would clean up.

Took a total of 5 patches and a few dry patches. Soaked the BP in Hoppes #9, Ran the 7/64" drill bit down the flash channel and no fouling came out which really surprised me.

22 shots total.

000_0747.jpg

You can see around the rim where the BP is sealed up tight inside of the barrel.
000_0753.jpg

Before i cleaned the BP,
000_0754.jpg

i love the stuff, i cant say enough good about it works outstanding in my traditions pursuist lt. with a 300gr .452 45 cal xtp in a harvester 50 cal sabot all over 80gr. bk and a federal 209m primer. only thing i wish i could have done different is that i could use open sights but my eye's wont pic them out clearly anymore. but this is the groups my setup produces for me.
suescamera064.jpg

this group is where i eneded up with the load stated above, the next pics were shot from the same gun and setuo but with 90gr. bh and a harvester crush rib sabot not the standards that i am shooting now and what a difference.
102_2897.jpg

above was a 5 shot group
102_2896.jpg

above 4 shot group.

also as frontier said there is very little to no recoil when shot with my loads from a free rest (forend restin on a bag back end being held by me) also my gun is the light weight model so there should be some kick but none that is notice able.
all my groups are only at 50 yards though cause where i hunt a 30-max 50 yards is average.

Well that is some good shooting... and I like BlackHorn 209 a lot. Its just impossible to get around here. I have to order it like most of you.

cayuga said:
Well that is some good shooting... and I like BlackHorn 209 a lot. Its just impossible to get around here. I have to order it like most of you.

Great shooting guy's
Dave.I finaly found some localy,not a bad price either

Great looking groups! Do you have any idea what velocities the loads are producing. The funny thing about BH209 is that where it's scarce more guys want it. In my neck of the woods you can get all you want, but then all you hear is guys whining about the price.

Back