Ultimate Firearms Inc. 200gr. of Powder and 500yd Accuracy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterB4

Reaction score
www.ultimatefirearms.com

Not sure if these ML's have already been discussed here or not. But I was pretty impressed with the specs and claims on them. And they're made right here in Michigan. I would love to have one of these if I had $2,000 laying around. lol. They claim you can burn 200gr of powder and will retain 1,000 ft lbs. of energy at 500yds. :shock:

They also require a lot of recoil resistance. I personally would not be able to withstand the amount of recoil associated with that much energy in a muzzleloader and besides I don't know where I would find any elephants in Arizona. 80gr. of powder and 300gr. bullets will kill Elk and they are the biggest thing I hunt here. I personally have not seen any areas that would allow a 500yard shot where I hunt either. I wonder if anyone has looked at the size of the good kill area on a deer or in fact even an elk at 500 yards. It is getting pretty small even with a good scope. Nice combination of machining and ideas but not for me.

I would think the last pellet would make a heck of a tracer. I was under the impression that only X grains of powder will burn in a Y inch barrel of Z caliber in a muzzleloader.

i

I've visited the web site several times and they are beautiful guns
as mlkeith said above the recoil must be punishing and for me it would be to much for me to shoot accurately

I'm not sure why anyone even bothers with these. You can get a Savage smokeless to do the same or better for FAR less money and punishment on the shoulder. I guess if smokeless is illegal where you are hunting, that would be one thing. But you still could buy a Savage and shoot say 140 - 160 grains of BH209 out of it which would probably duplicate what Ultimate does for far less money. Doesn't make sense to me, even if you think you need an elephant gun for hunting North American game.

Ultimate Firearms claims that they can burn 200-250 grains of powder efficiently due to "their" breechplug design. They used to claim a velocity of 2,300 fps with a 300 grain bullet and the four pellet load. They claimed an unbelievable 2,900 fps with the same bullet and the five pellet load.

Several folks have tested those guns with less than stellar results: No one has been able to get velocities even close to those claimed by maker of that rifle.

In the 2005 issue of Gun Digest; Toby Bridges used the Savage muzzleloader to test large charges of Pyrodex pellets.

1. Three Pyrodex pellets and the 250 grain XTP bullet = 1,955 fps.

2. Four Pyrodex pellets and the 250 grain XTP bullet = 1,930 fps.

3. Five Pyrodex pellets and the 250 grain XTP bullet = <1,900 fps.

Using 777 pellets

1. Three 777 pellets and the 250 grain XTP bullet = 2,027 fps.

2. Four 777 pellets and the 250 grain XTP bullet = 2,120 fps.

3. Five pellet 777 load was not tested due to horrendous recoil with the four pellet load.

Stuffing a lot of powder down the barrel and burning it efficiently is two different and completely separate things. The law of diminishing returns applies here.The only thing it does not apply to is recoil, the weight of the powder beyond a light load that burns before the bullet movie is the only exception. For most powders in normal length barrel [about 28 inches] max efficiency is 110 gr or close to it, the exceptions are Blackhorn and smokeless because they are progressive burning that means that the higher the pressure the faster it burns, it also means that if you make bad enough mistakes you can cause the rare problem called detonation.
The reason this works at all has to do with the weight of powder adding to what holds the load in place long enough to burn more powder, heavy bullets add to this also.
Do understand that I am not knocking them but trying to explain for the beginners what is happening here. This is the reason that most that shoot this type gun use smokeless or normal loads of black or black subs when they hunt where smokeless is not allowed. 200gr of T7 and a 350 or 400 gr bullet will get your attention when you pull the trigger and I want to warren people to try this with a regular muzzle loader is EXTREMELY dangerous as they are built to with stand MUCH less pressure than is developed in the converted high powered rifles like Ultimate Arms.

My uncle has one. He is a big guy and since it uses like "shell primer" there is no blow back all out of the smoke pole.

smokeless is banned in MI too fyi.

I had one for a short time and it was accurate and a nice gun. However, it was VERY heavy and wouldn't do anything my Knight Disc or Triumph will do at normal ranges. Mine had the thumbhole stock and was just WAY TOO HEAVY for my type of hunting.

These are heavy guns, which soaks up a lot of the recoil. They use a LRM primer to set off the charge, which they say will ignite all the pellets. The ones I have been around shot the parker 275's with the 4 pellets into nice little groups at 2 and 3 hundred yards. They are very well made guns. That being said, I will only spend this kind of money on a smokepole if I hunting in a no rifle zone and my normal shot was 200+ yards. Everything inside of that range can be handled my a $350 gun.

I guess if you just won the lottery they would be nice. kind of like the difference of driving a Porsche and a VW. They both will get you to 65mph, one will just do it faster. 8)

Back