Fondled a APEX, VORTEK, BONE COLLECTOR this evening.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
APEX

The APEX is a very nice rifle, the only problem was it didn't have a ramrod, this was a .300 Win Mag. The rifle was remarkable light, the frame was much smaller than I expected. The rifle felt good in the hands, and the ambidextrous stock had a very high comb, which would be about perfect for a scope. It would be very tough to mount sights high enough to compensate, if somone was looking to do that.

There were a couple things I didn't care for on the rifle, but these were only cosmetic in nature. First the black lettered "APEX" set into the sides of the frame. I think it would have looked much better with no lettering at all on the sides of the frame. Second was the smoooth black stock's double cheek piece. The oils from your hands and cheek are very visable after handling.

What I did like was the molded in grip pieces in both the stock and forend were very functional. The Bergara barrel had CVA Norcross, GA on the barrel, NO MENTION OF SPAIN! I don't know if that means anything, or if it is just a marketing move? The fit and finish looked very nice and is by far the nicest looking and feeling rifle they have ever made IMO.

VORTEK

Nice looking and handling rifle. This rifle has an alloy frame that is fashioned a lot like the Triumph. Fluted barrel with the typical Made In Spain by Ardessa stamped on it. The barrel is ported, which I personally think is about the most worthless thing you can do to a muzzleloader barrel. Why Traditions thinks these rifles need to be ported is beyond me. The locking lug when opened has no visable welds along its perimeter. After contorting the rifle around, I could see there was a slot cut into the length of the lug on the bottom, and the welds have to be on the inside of that. This was a very inovative idea IMO, and leaves no welds to grind off or worry about when locked up. This rifle also uses the "Accelerator" breech plug like the Pursuit II. The right side of the frame had a "VORTEK" stamp with a skull and horns of a buck. HMMM, wonder where they got that idea? Bone Collector, maybe? :lol:

BONE COLLECTOR

This is just a shorter stocked Triumph with a lighter hammer spring and a hammer spur extension. The rest of the differences are merely cosmetic IMO, the rubber thingies in the stock and the black Weathershield.

The hammer spur extension is a very nice addition to this rifle. I am sure the hammer spring had to be lightened to compensate for the momentum the extra weight causes.

Nice rifle, but the shorter stock would not cut it for me. I love a 14 1/4" pull, at least.

Busta said:
APEX

The Bergara barrel had CVA Norcross, GA on the barrel, NO MENTION OF SPAIN!

Remove forearm. Its under there along with the serial number.

Bone collector to me felt like it had a longer LOP than the triump. I handled both at the sportsmans wearhouse and the bone collector was easy to get the sights into view.

frontier gander said:
Busta said:
APEX

The Bergara barrel had CVA Norcross, GA on the barrel, NO MENTION OF SPAIN!

Remove forearm. Its under there along with the serial number.

Bone collector to me felt like it had a longer LOP than the triump. I handled both at the sportsmans wearhouse and the bone collector was easy to get the sights into view.

OK, so they are hiding the MADE IN SPAIN now? :lol:

The Bone Collector is definitely a shorter LOP, I had several of the Triumphs and 2 Bone Collectors side by side on the rack. I think they claim it was an inch, but I would say maybe more like 3/4". Either way, too short for me.

Cool report! I also think the BC is too short. Just didn't feel right for me.

Maybe it's just me, and my, ah... well padded facial features...but I can't get a good bead on the open sites for either the BC or the Triumph, without moving my cheek all the way back to the recoil pad :shock: :oops: :D

Anyone else have the same problem with these 2 guns...???

lane said:
Maybe it's just me, and my, ah... well padded facial features...but I can't get a good bead on the open sites for either the BC or the Triumph, without moving my cheek all the way back to the recoil pad :shock: :oops: :D

The first thing i noticed when handling the Bone Collector is that i could get down on the stock and see the sights. I wanted to purchase the Triumph when it was introduced, but couldn't because i can't get down far enough on the stock to see the sights. It seems the Bone Collector would work for me, but it sure has a steep price, and alas, now i don't need a rifle.

Underclocked said:
Busta, what was the price on that Apex?

Triple Nickels! $555.00.

It was a SS/Black Composite .300 Win Mag, NOT the muzzleloader.

I think they are still trying to figure out the breech plug on the muzzleloader. I hear tell it will be on the order of the Triumph or Vortek with a hand removable/quick release breech plug of some sort. I think that is a feature that is a hot topic, whether warranted or not.

Busta said:
Underclocked said:
Busta, what was the price on that Apex?

Triple Nickels! $555.00.

It was a SS/Black Composite .300 Win Mag, NOT the muzzleloader.

I think they are still trying to figure out the breech plug on the muzzleloader. I hear tell it will be on the order of the Triumph or Vortek with a hand removable/quick release breech plug of some sort. I think that is a feature that is a hot topic, whether warranted or not.
a hand removeable breech is a nice feature,twice while hunting i lost two patches due to the dreaded t7 crudring.it made a very quick turn around to reload but it's moot point for me now as the triumph's loaded with BH209 now :wink: ....karl

muzzleloader barrel will be available 30 -45 days after the release of the centerfire Apex.

The TC triump and BC i handled i played with the breech plug but at $45 a plug, i like my $15 cva plug that uses a tool :lol:

frontier gander said:
muzzleloader

i like my $15 cva plug that uses a tool :lol:

same here , with teflon tape i get a good seal , the breech plug NEVER gets stuck and comes out in around 10-15 seconds and its cheap . Just don't really need a speed breech and if i ever loose a patch i just pop off another primer and out it comes . Don't see myself getting another muzzy anytime soon but if i do it will have no breech plug :wink:

Can't understand

Don't make sense to me.. Bone Collector for big bucks? or a Knight Vision from Sportsman's Guide for $187.. better quality for less money IMHO.. also, how about a Knight Disc Extreme (blued, composite) for less than $200 shipped ... check Gunbroker.. got both comeing as we speak.. range report and packaged venison to follow.. Les

lane said:

I did as well, it must be my height. But it won't be an issue once the rifle wears a scope.

Chocdog

Latest posts

Back