What would you guys do .....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
With recent health issue its a crap shoot between the doctors and the wife trying to make me listen to their advice. Number One is forget the primitive life style, getting on the ground or wanting to go shoot the muzzleloaders (recoil issues according to doctors).

Crap, they want me sell all the toys and sit around with my thumb up my butt. Last year it was the drag race car, then the chopper, now the muzzle-loading stuff.

What would you guys do with your heart and other body parts starting to fail ....... I'm not looking for prayers, just trying to figure out what else can I do to keep myself entertained and be productive.

Us old guys just need to decide what we want to do with what's left of our lives. I am still out hunting almost daily when I probably shouldn't be...but I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting in my recliner. I wish you the best of luck and hope things improve for you.

No need to sell your muzzleloaders, just lighten the loads and enjoy them. You're fresh out of the hospital, they think you're going to get t active to soon and hurt yourself, so its easier for them to tell you to sell it off, you can't do it anymore.

First off I do not post much but read here a lot thanks for all your wisdom.

Sharing your knowledge and wisdomon here and too younger genderations on not only muzzleloading but the mountainman era is productive and and is needed.

I know you are not asking for but first and foremost my prayers are with you daily. I am not anywhere near where you are at but for the past two years I have been told I can not do the things I have always done because of a blood clot due to surgery after an injury. I was misserable until I prayed on it for guidence from than doctors. I do not know that is the right answer for you but am sure you can find that answer by doing this. As has already been said if it is inevitable do you want to end on doing what makes you happy or sitting around making others happy. I know it cn be a hard choice to make. Sorry for babbling on, hope I helpd some.

Regards to you.

I’m 67, and have always lead an active lifestyle, bicycle racing, running, hiking, hunting, fishing, ect. I plan to continue has long as possible, albeit Ive slowed down. I personally see my older friends that hit the couch and they seem to melt away. Do all you can Buck to stay active as possible, the human body is created to be used. Walk as much as you can and keep your hobbies, also change hobbies, keeps the old brain working.
MT

I would rather LIVE my life than just exist. I can’t accept giving up the recreational activities that I have WILLINGLY until I am completely unable to participate. From what I understand we only get one ticket for the time here and I believe that we are here for a purpose. I also am 67 and yes I do have small aches and pains that nag me daily along with other challenges that come along periodically but as long as we can we have to enjoy life and all the splendour that comes with it. Use your wisdom to evaluate the scenario so you don’t take unnecessary risks. Listen, actually hear and try to understand the opinions from those close to you however in the end you are the captain of your boat. Stay away from Covid-19 there’s no upside to the effects from that virus.

Buck,

I’m not going to tell you what to do but I am going to give you some observations. I am currently taking care of my aged mother who suffers from poor circulation lung issues and some dementia. Despite my best efforts she sits in a chair all day and sleeps her remaining days away to me that’s not living that’s existing. I hope that I can always get in my deer stands or blinds to I am called and though it’s easy to say I fervently hope to always stay active no matter what .

Buck, I am new here (kind of), but in the time I have been observing the various posts, you have a WEALTH of knowledge and experience of the techniques, arms, and history of the evolution of what we enjoy here, you could write a book, or two, or three, or even just compile your great posts on those subjects (there are many) and put them out there in a publication. Sure the audience might be limited somewhat for a while, but one thing you will be able to do as provide a seriously valuable resource in print for those of us who are new, plus the youngsters coming up who want to get into the lifestyle, and then on to the broader audience as well. Just a thought.

Buck, I am new here (kind of), but in the time I have been observing the various posts, you have a WEALTH of knowledge and experience of the techniques, arms, and history of the evolution of what we enjoy here, you could write a book, or two, or three, or even just compile your great posts on those subjects (there are many) and put them out there in a publication. Sure the audience might be limited somewhat for a while, but one thing you will be able to do as provide a seriously valuable resource in print for those of us who are new, plus the youngsters coming up who want to get into the lifestyle, and then on to the broader audience as well. Just a thought.
Buck
I totally agree. Knowledge is what us old guys have left. If we cant pass it on then no one benefits from our years of experience.
DL

I just read a response on a Leman on the other forum, yes history is so valuable for the next generation of shooters.

Buck
I totally agree. Knowledge is what us old guys have left. If we cant pass it on then no one benefits from our years of experience.
DL
What's the deal with some of these teachers not teaching history as it really happen? These kids don't know squat about their past all they know are the lies they have been told from those that we entrusted to teach.

Mark Twain famously said, "Don't let school interfere with your education." Although the famed author who quit school at age 12 had more meanings in mind than calling out specific educational untruths, it turns out plenty of the "facts" learned in school are actually myths, propaganda, misinformation, or downright lies

I’m still in the classroom, last year, we are still a very traditional school in a very old system. But I can feel it slipping, the level of rigor is going away. Also the cellphone is the primary degradation of education in my humble opinion. Education starts and should continue in the home, that to is struggling.

What's the deal with some of these teachers not teaching history as it really happen? These kids don't know squat about their past all they know are the lies they have been told from those that we entrusted to teach.

Mark Twain famously said, "Don't let school interfere with your education." Although the famed author who quit school at age 12 had more meanings in mind than calling out specific educational untruths, it turns out plenty of the "facts" learned in school are actually myths, propaganda, misinformation, or downright lies
I've spent time with some pretty bright kids in the medical profession. None of them knew anything about the landing at Normandy (I wanted to tell them of my uncle, a Combat Medic who landed at Normandy, but it wouldn't have meant anything to them) , or the meaning of December 7th. Only one knew of the battleship Arizona, but that's because she had visited the Memorial with the Arizona anchor and signal mast with family. She wasn't sure of the significance of the ship or events leading to it's demise. Something in common with ALL of them: they said that history classes never mentioned these and other significant events.
It's not solely the fault of teachers, but of the administrators who select and approve the curriculum content.

With recent health issue its a crap shoot between the doctors and the wife trying to make me listen to their advice. Number One is forget the primitive life style, getting on the ground or wanting to go shoot the muzzleloaders (recoil issues according to doctors).

Crap, they want me sell all the toys and sit around with my thumb up my butt. Last year it was the drag race car, then the chopper, now the muzzle-loading stuff.

What would you guys do with your heart and other body parts starting to fail ....... I'm not looking for prayers, just trying to figure out what else can I do to keep myself entertained and be productive.
Hi Buck,
I tell you what Buck, as we get into these older guy days the body starts to go south and that’s just the way it is. When your will to live starts to go but you just won’t die, it’s these things we do for our hobbies that we live for-at least that’s the way I see it.

I check in with a couple of doctors every 6 months and the both of them ask me if I keep busy. When I tell them that I go to the shooting range almost every day, they both say “Good“ or “good for you”, things like that.

I had a 4-way bypass a few years back and this took care of some of my problems. I can’t handle the recoil of big thumpers like I used to so shoot them in moderation or just go with lighter loads or smaller bores.

As far as my wife goes, she’s glad I get out and do these shooting activities. I think it’s what keeps me going. We both agree to try to do something fun every day. I told her that’s what I’m going to try to do and she’s in total agreement for a change!

If I am forced to just stay home and have to get rid of my toys, I just hope that will be the day that I go flying away into that great hereafter place.

I believe that people shrivel up inside when they are unable to enjoy doing at least part of those things that they love doing.
Of course make up your own mind but just don’t allow someone else to break your spirit.

I hope you’re still able to get out and at least participate in shooting activities enough to give you something to look forward to.

May you continue to enjoy your life and the best to you!

I had a 4-way bypass a few years back and this took care of some of my problems. I can’t handle the recoil of big thumpers like I used to so shoot them in moderation or just go with lighter loads or smaller bores.

For target shooting we have been talking to several guys that are hot and heavy into .22 caliber shooting at 100 yards. Smaller caliber, less recoil and cheaper once your setup (all about smallest group shot). Same with .49 caliber muzzle loader idea that's being built.

As far as my wife goes, she’s glad I get out and do these shooting activities. I think it’s what keeps me going. We both agree to try to do something fun every day. I told her that’s what I’m going to try to do and she’s in total agreement for a change!

My wife has an old/new Ruger 77/22 that's beautiful wood and looks like its new (small round forearrm with hand cut checkering, early model before they changed to the larger forearm and stamped checkering). It has a 3-9 Leupod scope, got the whole setup from Cabelas one night when working in the Gun Library on a trade-in for $225.00 - Cabelas cost - a steal.

When Cabelas would take ammo back from customers I would buy everything returned in .22, 9MM, .357-.38SPL, .308 and 12 gauge - big discount to employees (probably collected over 10,000 rounds in a five year period (need to shoot some of it up and go through and look for the collector stuff too).

Buck, your body will tell you what you can and can't do. I'm 68 yrs. old. Still hang sticks and strap on tree stand (not as easy as it used to be). In my youth I sprained the right ankle twice, at 68 the arthritis has set in; fractured C5 and arthritis reminds me a couple times per year; left knee medial cartlilage was cut out (pre-arthroscopic surgery) and a knee replacement gets closer and closer. I don't drag deer anymore - I use a cart or pack it out. I do what my body allows me to do. I recommend that you allow your body tell you what you can do, or can't do.

I turned 75 this past April. I have had 2 vert fused in my neck and both knees replaced. I refuse to stop archery and muzzleloader hunting deer and elk, usually by myself. My family doesn't like it. I purchased a SpotX to remain in touch but I realize the difficulty in retrieving an animal but have friends who have offered assistance if I get something down and I will take them up on it. I refuse to quit until I can't do it anymore.
Hang in there Buck!!

Back